4 A.M Rooster crowing, REALLY???

bigdaddyabc

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Greer
What in the world has gotten in to my roosters? I have 2 "dominant" boys that service 20 or so hens. In the last couple of weeks, they have begun crowing from the coop mind you at 4 a.m. or so. It is dark outside, WAY before sunup. Are they blind, stupid, or just trying to get to freezer camp?

Roosters will crow at any time of the day or night. Often their crow is a warning sound. An owl might've flown overhead, maybe a raccoon walked by, who knows, but they are just doing their job. If mine wakes me up at midnight crowing, I often get up, go out and check out what is going on.

Well today is a day of sorrow.I had to rehome my 4 month old EE roo. I can't keep roos in this city. I knew that, but at 4 days old.who knewThe co op. told me they were sexed as pulletes.The only good thing is it was my vet who took him.he has 25 hens and no roos.He has a farm with many ac.Plus he said he would never kill him. I can visit anytime.and get updates .Its quite a relief to not worry about my roo being sunday dinner.His 3 girls that were left behind seem a little bewildered tonight.Looking for him all around the yard.I wish him well.He was a good pal.

Last edited:
I went to a vacation house last summer and the neighbor's stupid rooster used to start crowing at 2:30 AM. 2:30?!?! Really?!?! I hated that bird. We were going to talk to the neighbors, but it proved difficult when we found out they were deaf.
hmm.png

I had to give away my very handsome, very nice rooster because he just crowed all the time. 4 a.m., 10 a.m., 3 p.m., 7 p.m., whatever - he just had to crow. My neighbors aren't super close by, but on a hot, still July morning the sound does travel, and besides, he was waking me up too. I still miss that guy.

Our roosters start about 5 a.m. every morning, & the sun isn't always up then. They will also crow at random times throught the day as well. Our neighbors are luckily not very close & have been pretty cool so far, a lot of them being fellow chicken owners. I do have to say though, while it thankfully is not an every night occurrence, or even what I'd call often, there have been times when one of the boys will start to crow at like 2 a.m. or 3:30 a.m. for just maybe 5 minutes at a time, & then he'll quiet down again until their normal time. I'd love to know what causes them to do this. Our house sits up in the woods a bit, & I have wondered if they maybe hear something out there that is kind of spooking them?

Back
Top Bottom