4 and a half week chicks are in the coop

Yoshih

Chirping
Mar 26, 2019
I put the chicks in the coop this am, I have the coop at 80 degrees, thanks to a heat lamp. I will open the door to the covered and enclosed run this afternoon once they get used to the coop. Tonight I will keep the lamp on and turn the milk house heater to low to make sure it stays at least 70 in there.
coop1.jpg
coop2.jpg

What degrees is it where your at?If summer and warm they don’t need a heat lamp. My 4 week olds are outside and it gets to 60, with winds at night, their also in a open wired caged.

What degrees is it where your at?If summer and warm they don’t need a heat lamp. My 4 week olds are outside and it gets to 60, with winds at night, their also in a open wired caged.
Today is close to 75 but the nights are still in the mid 40's and 50's

The chicks refuse to leave the coop, even though it is 80 degrees, they are walking around the coop but too afraid to leave it yet.

We decided to put ours in the run a week or two ago so the Hens could see them, then we put them in the coop one night last week after the hens went up and were asleep. Put their light in there with food and water and they finally went to sleep around 4 am. They had to be shown the coop just two nights and last night they went into the coop on their own. They all get an A+.

I see you have a sebright. Do you know if it's a boy or a girl? I have one as well and am not sure what it is. Hoping for a female though.

I don't think it is a sebright, It could be a Columbian or silver laced Wyandotte, unless the hatchery sent it by mistake

Back
Top Bottom