4 Chickens only one laying

knc512

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Hello all! I have 4 chickens 2 leghorns, 1 australorp and an americauna, on this past Saturday I got my first egg from one of the Leghorns and got my second egg from the same leghorn only small this time. why is it that none of the other 3 chickens are wanting to lay any eggs? is it possible that they might be a couple of weeks younger than the laying leghorn? they were bought at the same time (beginning of March) at a ranch supply store here in California.

How old were they when you bought them? If chicks, they should be about 21 weeks if I'm counting correctly. Pullets mature at different rates - some may not start laying until 24 weeks or so. Has it been very hot where you live? Some chickens are more affected by heat than other and may be not wanting to lay until they're less stressed. Here's another thought: are you sure they're all girls?

If you could post pics, that might be useful.
smile.png

Quote:
I was told they were about 2 weeks when we bought them, it has been very hot on certain days couple of weeks ago was about 102 but has cooled as of late, mid to low 90"s. the leghorns look like girls I am not sure how to tell if my australorp or my americauna are roos.

Last edited:
In general, roos will have thicker legs and bigger combs than hens the same age and breed. There are differences in feathering as well. You might want to post some pics over in the "What Breed or Gender" section so people can help you out with that.

Back
Top Bottom