4 Cornish Cross Sick

Marie30

Hatching
Oct 18, 2023
Hi,
this year was my first time ever doing a homestead. I bought 68 Cornish Cross.
I lost 3 the first 4 days.
afterward I lost none.

They are now 6 week old and I have 4 sick chicken I isolated. I will explain case by case. I am looking for help to save them and not repeat the same mistake for next year.

patient 1:
I found this one basically looking dead, not moving and all wet. I realize there was a leak in my roof and the chicken was right under it and unable to move. I grab the chicken and put it in a box. I thought it was cold and the legs were numb. I gave water in a spoon. I try the same thing with food but it wouldn’t eat. Therefore I squish some food in the water in hope that while it drink, it also eat food particles. It seem to do better after it got water (Was more energetic when drinking and reacting with its head, but the body still doesn’t move and is flat to the ground). My guess is it was unable to move and couldn’t eat or drink and explain the small boost it gave the chicken. After I gave the water In the spoon, the chicken seem to vomit some out (was clear liquid). I also notice the nostril are darker (picture to come) and recently have dark spot on skin (under wing) and leg. Right now it’s still doesn’t eat and I feel the chicken is now bony after 3 days and I feel so sad. The legs since I found it seem numb. He has fly on him and around :(.
EBECF23E-5F94-4156-BE70-139C124746E7.jpeg
05966FA5-236E-4860-BD57-628CC36388EE.jpeg
9CF19CF5-3356-498E-B3BE-F12371E76864.jpeg

Patient 2:
patient two showed the same sign as patient 1 (not able to move, no energy) but not as severe. I found this chicken barley able to move. The legs are not totally numb but not much movement. It has more energy and does eat and drink. Patient two was isolated 2 days ago. I am scare it end up like patient 1.
6ACA5EC6-A196-4225-874E-C001EC502FC4.jpeg

patient 3 is in the same state as patient 2 but even more energetic.
patient 4:
this one is a different case. I found it today head down, I approach and see if it would move and didn’t. Clearly has problem breathing (mouth open, no noise, my stead is not too hot). Blue skin. the Legs are working because it is able to stand up. its condition seem to be getting worse and worse. doesn’t drink or eat even with spoon.
333F98F4-0C06-4DFD-8E60-D018C3B17C2E.jpeg

All isolated chicken have water and food in front of them (I took away for the picture). I will try now to go give water to all my patient with a spoon to be 100% sure they are drinking.
My biggest questions is why are they sick?
How can I save them?
How to give nutriment to patient 1?
special remedies?

I am from Québec and my chick were all vaccinated when I got them at day 1.
Yesterday I change the whole litter and put new one. The old litter was a little humid. I change water twice a day and they have all you can eat food. They can go outside and have a lot of space. I go see them 2-3 time a day to see how they’re doing. I want to know what could have been my mistake and how I can save my 4 patients. Here is my homestead. Thank you for reading and in need of guidance .
78E01722-C15C-48B4-999C-FBD4D5C83E92.jpeg

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this!
They sure don't look well. I'm not an expert but I will tag some people that might be able to help. Hopefully you can get some quick help! The first one looks like it has mites. I'm so sorry!
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @nuthatched

I would definitely get something from your vet to treat them for mites. In Canada, it is hard to get permethrin, but you may be able to treat with sulfur powder, but ask your vet for help. The chicken with blue skin probably has a heart problem, and may be dying.

I agree, it does look like mites are part of the problem.

Seeking vet care would be a good idea, take a sample of poop with you so the vet can run a fecal float to see if Coccidiosis is an issue as well.

Since you are in Canada, a lot of treatments and medications can only be obtained through a vet.

@CCsGarden @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock thank you for the response.

Patient 4 is dead. Im sad but I don't think I could have done anything.

Next time I will try to be faster at identifying and butcher so it does not go to waste.

patient 1 is the only one with visible mite and has been in quarantine for 3 days. But I will check my other chicken tomorrow for that. Patient 1 is really skinny and won't eat but drink. It is probably not recommend but I am giving it some of my "protein powder" (bio steel) so it has something in the belly and filling (Its bony and look like it has no energy)

Patient 2 and 3 eat and drink but can't move and are in a way better shape then Patient 1.

Could this been cause by the mite or something else? Also after watching some video online I feel I keep my coop pretty clean compare to others. So I am disappointed I have 3 sick chicken.

Could it be the Marek diseases even if they were vaccinated since patient 1 leg are numb and patient 2 and 3 weak leg? Also the poop is green and smelly.

I am having help this Saturday for butcher the none sick one, should I go to a vet prior ?

Also this was a fun experience since this week :/. Also a full litter change was done yesterday for the none sick chicken.

@CCsGarden @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock thank you for the response.

Patient 4 is dead. Im sad but I don't think I could have done anything.

Next time I will try to be faster at identifying and butcher so it does not go to waste.

patient 1 is the only one with visible mite and has been in quarantine for 3 days. But I will check my other chicken tomorrow for that. Patient 1 is really skinny and won't eat but drink. It is probably not recommend but I am giving it some of my "protein powder" (bio steel) so it has something in the belly and filling (Its bony and look like it has no energy)

Patient 2 and 3 eat and drink but can't move and are in a way better shape then Patient 1.

Could this been cause by the mite or something else? Also after watching some video online I feel I keep my coop pretty clean compare to others. So I am disappointed I have 3 sick chicken.

Could it be the Marek diseases even if they were vaccinated since patient 1 leg are numb and patient 2 and 3 weak leg? Also the poop is green and smelly.

I am having help this Saturday for butcher the none sick one, should I go to a vet prior ?
Marek's disease symptoms start to show up at around the age of 12 or older, so it's unlikely Marek's is the cause of decline in your 6wk old broilers.

Broilers/Meat Birds can often have leg problems and organ failure due to gaining weight quickly.
Coccidiosis may be a problem in young birds.
The mites will not help at all and a severe infestation can definitely kill birds, so getting them under control would be a priority.

Ask at your feed store what they have available or contact your vet, if one has mites, most likely all do even if you are not immediately seeing them. Mites can be very hard to irradicate from housing once they are established.

Your best option is to wrap the body of the one that died, refrigerate it or place it in a cooler with ice and have your vet college, vet lab or agriculture of ministry perform a necropsy, this will give you a lot of information about why the bird became ill and what treatment(s), if any can be administered to any others that may be sick. It's information going forward as well, you'll be able to recognize symptoms and get on top of treatment quickly.

Back
Top Bottom