4-day old Buckeye chick is probably dying, very fast decline today, what went wrong?

ChicoryBlue

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
May 8, 2020
Central New York USA
First-time chicken keeper. I noticed this chick, smaller than the others, and prone to getting bullied by a pretty feisty chick was sleeping a little more than the other 4 yesterday but it would get up and be eating and drinking, and I attributed it to the travel stress. I have been cleaning the brooder changing out (paper towels on puppy pads) religiously, and they've been on non-medicated game bird stater crumbles (I would have chosen medicated if I could have found the high protein), Sav-A-Chick electrolytes (and today I mixed up the probiotics pak with it), and a little cooked egg yolk yesterday and more today. My plan had been to change to preventive Corrid in their water in a day or two and bring in some soil for a dust bath. Now I wonder if non-medicated feed was a mistake?

This chick usually slept in the smallest part in the back of the Mama Heating Pad. This morning I couldn't find a fifth chick and it turned out to be her, in a crevice between the MHP pad and the blanket draped over it, but on the outside of the wireframe. She shot of out there when I lifted the blanket. Later in the morning she was in the MHP sleeping, but did eventually come out and eat and drink, and she had some egg yolk too. She did go back into the MHP sooner than the others. This afternoon she has been in the MHP, not going in and out at all. When I peeked in there she was sitting and sleeping again in the smallest part. Later I took her out and her legs were very weak, she wouldn't stand in my hand. I put her in a little box around the vertical waterer to keep the other chicks away temporarily and showed it to her and she drank a little. I got a drop of Nutri-Drench on a toothpick and gave that to her, then a few more drops of the regular waterer from the nipple. Then I read up on coccidiosis and mixed up a treatment batch of Corid powder and changed the waterer to that, mixed up a drench of 1/2 tsp in 2 tsp water and put that on her beak, she drank a little. But I think it's too late. She slept in my hand for awhile, extremely weak, and now I've put her in the far back in the MHP again, thinking that it's warmer in there and against the pad than on my hand. She moved her legs to crawl as I put her in there, but now I see her legs are off to the side and she doesn't look good but she is breathing.

I feel very bad about this. P
IMG_20200709_132218337.jpg
IMG_20200707_153923001.jpg
IMG_20200707_154220989.jpg
oor little bird! I know sometimes things happen that I can't prevent, but if there is a mistake I've made I'd like to know about it. I attached pictures of the brooder, and then a picture of two of the chicks, the sick chick is much like the small yellow-er one in the back but this is not her, there are only two that look like that and I think she was under the MHP when I took the picture. Two of the others have a black stripe on their heads and one is plain bronze like the one in the foreground. I got them on Tuesday ("estimated hatch date" was July 6th), from MyPetChicken. Ideas or anything else I can try?

She pooped in my hand while I held her, it was a very soft but regular color poo, no blood. This picture might be her or her twin sister
IMG_20200709_132133348.jpg
I'm not sure. I had a flash on so it caught her squinting a bit. But now she barely opens her eyes.

All the other chicks are acting fine and have become very feisty today, especially this afternoon, now that they are over the travel stress - they were sleeping a lot more during the day yesterday - they are doing what I've read on other posts, going in and out of the MHP, climbing up and jumping all over it, eating, drinking a lot, sometimes dashing somewhere for no apparent reason. That's what drew my attention to the little one, who didn't start doing that. 😢

There is no chance of the weak chick having coccidiosis at this age, and medicated feed would not have made a difference. It is weak from either failure to thrive or shipping stress. The latter can affect chicks up to a week to 10 days after they arrive. Give the Poultry NutriDrench a few drops once a day for 3 days, and get her drinking by dipping her beak. Make sure that she does not have any poop blocking her vent, since that can be fatal. I hope that your little one makes it, but this can happen with baby chicks.

Thank you so much @Eggcessive for replying! I am sad to report she has died, I just checked again and she is not breathing and was stiff when I took her out of the MHP. It really didn't look good late this afternoon. I thought there could be coccidiosis in them somehow when they hatch, and you know how they will peck at new poops they see, I thought maybe that can happen that way. Thank you for enlightening me - so the other chicks are not in danger of that here, then?

She did not have poop blocking her vent, it looked fine, and she pooped in my hand when I first held her. She was the smallest and did seem to need more sleep since she arrived, I had hoped to nurture her along. But I didn't give them the NutriDrench after one drop each the first day. The others seem quite rambunctious but one does seem to discourage the next littlest one when they're at the waterer. When I've blocked the "bully" with my hand, that little one will drink, and drinks A LOT. Should I set up a second water source or maybe like I read @Blooie had below the nipple to catch drips, a small dish, so some can get at it while the "bully" drinks? Thanks for any and all advice!

Sorry for your loss. I usually use a gallon waterer in a brooder for the weight, so they cannot knock it over easily, and they are usually wide enough for everyone to get a chance at the water. I have never lost a chick in the 2 times I have bought shipped chicks from a hatchery, but mine were never in the mail for more than overnight shipping from a hatchery in my state. I also got them during a mild part of the year, avoiding hot summer or cold late winter hatches. There is no control over getting a weak chick with problems though. The most common time to see coccidiosis is 3-6 weeks of age.

Sorry for your loss. I usually use a gallon waterer in a brooder for the weight, so they cannot knock it over easily, and they are usually wide enough for everyone to get a chance at the water. I have never lost a chick in the 2 times I have bought shipped chicks from a hatchery, but mine were never in the mail for more than overnight shipping from a hatchery in my state. I also got them during a mild part of the year, avoiding hot summer or cold late winter hatches. There is no control over getting a weak chick with problems though. The most common time to see coccidiosis is 3-6 weeks of age.
Thank you, you're very kind. I suppose the gallon waterer has two or more nipples? I had thought about freezing weather and snow storms holding it up but I didn't think about extreme heat in July. So maybe that contributed, that's makes sense. And maybe she hatched weak, which would make it all the harder. They did come overnight basically though, from Ohio to New York State. Shipped on Monday 6th, arrived Tuesday 7th morning.
Thank you, and thank you to so many in this community, for providing so much caring advice!

Back
Top Bottom