4 day old chi k and swollen vent?

csaylorchickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2015
California
My Coop
My Coop
My check has had a problem with pasty but since she's been born. I have been using a q-tip and warm water to wash the area and clear her of her poop. Today when I came home I noticed her but was tasty again so I cleaned it off and I notice that it looks a little more swollen than normal. So I added triple antibiotic ointment around the area so the number one to poop doesn't stick to the event anymore or anywhere around it and to if it is inflamed maybe it could possibly be an infection? Do you have any suggestions on treatment or what I can do to help her?

Go out to your yard and find an area of grass that has never been fertilized or treated with chemicals. Dig a piece up that is 4 inches wide and at least 2 inches deep. Put it in with the chicks grass side down. They will peck at it, climb on it and pretty much make a mess. This prevents and cures pasty butt. Repeat in a day or two.

When cleaning the pasty butt soak the little hinney in lukewarm water and use your fingers to swish the water near the pasty part to loosen the poop and gently swish it away. Remember that our hands are used to warm/hot water and unknowingly you could be making the water too hot. Do you have a thermometer to test the water? A q-tip might be too rough even if you are being very gentle. I always ask myself how would that feel to me. If I had a problem I wouldn't want a q-tip rubbing on tender irritated skin.

Dry gently by dabbing and not rubbing. Put a little vaseline on the area and hope for the best.

Go out to your yard and find an area of grass that has never been fertilized or treated with chemicals.  Dig a piece up that is 4 inches wide and at least 2 inches deep.  Put it in with the chicks grass side down.  They will peck at it, climb on it and pretty much make a mess.  This prevents and cures pasty butt.  Repeat in a day or two.

When cleaning the pasty butt soak the little hinney in lukewarm water and use your fingers to swish the water near the pasty part to loosen the poop and gently swish it away.  Remember that our hands are used to warm/hot water and unknowingly you could be making the water too hot.  Do you have a thermometer to test the water?  A q-tip might be too rough even if you are being very gentle.  I always ask myself how would that feel to me.  If I had a problem I wouldn't want a q-tip rubbing on tender irritated skin.

Dry gently by dabbing and not rubbing.  Put a little vaseline on the area and hope for the best.

Thank u! I will do that for sure. She is pooping normal most of the time now so that's good.

Back
Top Bottom