4 day old chick has leg issue

TGinTX

Chirping
Jul 15, 2020
I hatched some cotournix quail eggs and one that looked awful has survived and is hard to pick out now. One that looked fine yesterday has a leg out of place today. The brooder is lined with rubbery, holey drawer liner. I think this one has developed sprawled a leg-but it looks like it’s out of joint sorta.
Is there any correcting the leg or Is culling the only option? i have heat lamp at right level I think. Is there anything I could do to prevent or just a normal loss.
there were 18 chicks and a couple that were stuck in shell so I assisted. I don’t know which ones now.

If it's actually out of joint, you will probably need to cull. You could try cup therapy first, though. Put it in a cup where it has just enough room to stand properly for a couple of hours off, then give it a rest. Repeat as needed.

I hatched some cotournix quail eggs and one that looked awful has survived and is hard to pick out now. One that looked fine yesterday has a leg out of place today. The brooder is lined with rubbery, holey drawer liner. I think this one has developed sprawled a leg-but it looks like it’s out of joint sorta.
Is there any correcting the leg or Is culling the only option? i have heat lamp at right level I think. Is there anything I could do to prevent or just a normal loss.
there were 18 chicks and a couple that were stuck in shell so I assisted. I don’t know which ones now.
Can you send a picture of the Quail? There is a 30/50 chance Quails that are hatched will come out with hurt legs or curled toes.

092FFDA9-3801-4F28-8791-3EE928110F7C.jpeg
38854443-E534-49B4-B795-A9C95CCD8EF6.jpeg
ECC17AB2-DA29-4909-A691-52A85CEA6AB2.jpeg

I tried to cup the chick but it seemed to downhill from there. I thought I had it on the edge of the heat. It started looking like it was dying so I felt of its leg. It seemed to be unattached at the hip joint and I don’t think I have experience to save it. I chose to cull it. I’ve heard dehydration death is painful. I just don’t know what could cause that since all looked fine yesterday. The chicks aren’t laying on top of each other that I’ve seen. Thanks for all the responses.

I tried to cup the chick but it seemed to downhill from there. I thought I had it on the edge of the heat. It started looking like it was dying so I felt of its leg. It seemed to be unattached at the hip joint and I don’t think I have experience to save it. I chose to cull it. I’ve heard dehydration death is painful. I just don’t know what could cause that since all looked fine yesterday. The chicks aren’t laying on top of each other that I’ve seen. Thanks for all the responses.
I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you made the right choice. I don't think there's much you can do for a dislocated hip.

Back
Top Bottom