4 day old chick possibly hurt by dog?

audrey02026

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Dedham, Ma
Ok so I just got my second batch of Chicks. I have two that are a couple of weeks old and 4 that are only 4 days old. I took them out yesterday to play in the grass and after we were out for about an hour my husband let the dogs out (he forgot I was out there with the chicks) Well they didn't seem to mind they and just sniffed and went away. He put one back in the house the other would not listen to him and like an idot I left her out because she wasnt paying any mind to the chicks. Well I was talking to my neighbor and the dog pawed the chick I dont think she meant to her her but she fell over to her side and didn't move. I picked her up and then put the others away to make sure them would not get hurt next. She kept falling over for the first few minutes then she couls actually walk but ever since she has been very sluggish always sleeping. This morning she was the only chick still sleeping and when I pick her up she perks up for a moment then just closes her eyes again. I don't thnk she has eaten or had any water since. I also noticed that some of the chicks were pecking lightly at her...not sure if it's to get her to move or if they are picking on the waek. In any case I moved her to be alone gave her a teddy bear, food , water and some egg. What can I do for her? My husband says that if she is in pain we should do the humane thing but I'm just not sure she is suffering and I can't kill a baby chick without knowing that it HAS to be done...will she be ok, do chciks in distress make noise? I'm just going to baby her and see what happenes any help would be most appreciative.

I guess I am wondering is she is hurt or just in shock....how could I tell the difference???

I would give her a few drops of poly-vi-sol (w/o iron) and add a little sugar or electrolytes to her water. If she's not eating or drinking, you'll have to help her. Syringe a few drops of water into the side of her beak, she should swallow it down on her own (I find its easier to make a mash of the sugar water and starter crumbles and give the food and water all in one shot). You'll want to feed her every couple of hours. She may just be in shock, but if your dog is large it definately could have easily injured your baby. Accidents happen, just keep an eye on the little one and make sure its eating and drinking. Good luck!

Thank you I will try that. I'm hoping it is just shock....there is no visible damage. I orgionally thought her foot may be hurt or broken but she can walk on it.

Now she is doing this strange thing looks like she is trying to swallow or maybe chirp but can't.. She is opening her beak wide and kind of swallowing a few times then stops???

Back
Top Bottom