4 day old chick with splay leg?

jordanlen

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
My baby hatched this last Thursday and her mom wasn't taking care of her and pushing her away from the other chicks. I went back out to check on her and is thought she was dead but thankfully she wasn't. I brought her in and put her under the heat lamp in my room and noticed that she had an odd leg. It doesn't go out to the side like the standard splay leg, it goes backwards and I'm not sure if it's a deformity? We've got the sports wrap around her legs I just don't know if it's going to help. Also, she sleeps A LOT. She seems to be eating and drinking okay and goes to the bathroom a lot like she should so I don't know if she sleeps just because she's lonely. We're all pretty attached to her and she loves to sleep under my neck. Other then the leg I'm not very worried. Any advice would be great!

images

Welcome to BYC!

It still could be splay leg, even though it goes to the back. I would keep the tape on the legs to help strengthen them as they will still be weak. Hopefully someone in the emergency section will be able to help you more. Good luck with your baby and I hope he makes a full recovery. :)

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your chick, you got some good advice above about posting in the Emergencies section, hope the chick is OK.

Back
Top Bottom