4 day old chicks dying fast

I don't think it is the heat killing them because they can get to a spot that is cooler. But. yes, that brooder looks hot. But they are not laying around the far edge, panting with their mouth open. They don't look too hot.

To me the ideal brooder has one spot that is warm enough in the coolest conditions and a spot cool enough in the warmest conditions. If you watch a broody hen raise chicks the chicks run around in some pretty cool temperatures, then go under her when they need to warm up. Broody hens can raise chicks when there is snow on the ground. 80 degrees is not too cold for them if they can go to a spot that is warm enough when they need to warm up. 50 degrees isn't too cold as long as they can warm up. Don't try to keep the entire brooder one perfect temperature for them because there is not a perfect temperature. A range of temperatures is what they need.

I also use a heat lamp in my brooder. Do not depend on that clamp that came with it. Use wire or chain to support the lamp so there is no way it can fall or get knocked down. I'd move the lamp off to the side so it is not heating the entire brooder. Try to let the far side cool off more. It looks kind of small. Those chicks are going to grow fast.
Where is that brooder? Is it someplace climate controlled so the temperature remains constant or does it change with the weather? Those temperature swings can be a challenge in providing a spot always warm enough without it getting too hot in warmer temperatures. A larger brooder can help with that.

Can you describe how they are dying? How many and how often? A time scale might help. How do they act before they die? Do they just fall over when they look like they are doing OK or do they stand around looking lethargic, fluffed up and looking like they don't feel well? Are they eating and drinking? Do they stand around giving a really plaintive peeping, a systematic peeping that tells you that something is wrong. Once you hear it you recognize it. Are there any wounds on those chicks? Are young kids squeezing them when they play with them? Some clues might point us in the right direction.

It's too young to be Coccidiosis or most diseases. Have you checked them for pasty butt? Chickens have delicate respiratory systems like most birds. Is there any way the air could be contaminated, maybe are they near a gas fire like a gas water heater? What are you feeding them? Is the feed fresh and not moldy? Are you giving them any treats, anything other than chick feed? Are you adding anything to the water?

From what you've said I don't know how bad the problem is. I don't know what could be causing it. People got off on that too hot thing and ignored every other possibility.
They are in a guest bedroom in my house. They are in a kiddy pool that is split in half at the moment so we can expand when they get larger. We have boards around the edges to help reduce any draft.

Yesterday morning when we woke up 5 had passed in the night. We checked them through the day and all was well until 5pm when 2 more passed. This morning I woke up to 6 more gone

At first they were just going. Now they are laying around looking lethargic before they pass. They were eating well until recently and now aren't very interested in it. I was checking them morning and night for pasty butt and everything looked good, no pasty butt. There are no wounds it is just me and my boyfriend who go in that room

They are on just chick grit and nothing else at the moment for treats. The food looks good. In the water we are putting in quik chick that came with them when we ordered them.

I hear them make the peep noise and go check on them and everyone goes quiet. I wait a little while for it again and they don't do it until I leave.

I attached some pictures of how they look right now. Even in the coolest part that some moved to that is 75 degrees they are laying like this

Attachments

• 16531465880108016178851432383706.jpg
    16531465880108016178851432383706.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 16531466196074719673708303178492.jpg
    16531466196074719673708303178492.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 4
I'm so sorry this is happening...

I had a similar thing happen to me recently. I had a small order arrive, and 1 was really struggling, so I separated her and started spoon feeding water and egg yolk. I did this 2x every hour. I also gave Nutridrench 2x a day. She was laying down, eyes closed, panting. Then another started to decline. I did the same thing with her. The first one recovered but has some significant problems that will necessitate her becoming a house chicken (stunted growth, very poor feathering, partial blindness). The second passed. I am thinking it must have been shipping stress and maybe poor quality chicks.

I agree with @Ridgerunner that it is probably not the temp, esp since you lowered it and you are still having problems. You might try raising the temp again and giving them Nutridrench or egg yolk to get some hydration and energy going. Sav-a-Chick can provide electrolytes if you have that.

I wish I had more concrete answers.
:hugs

If @casportpony is available she might be able to help. She's pretty good.

I'm not sure what is going on. I'm not familiar with Quik Chick, I assume you are feeding it in the recommended dosage and replacing it daily so it doesn't get stale. As long as you are not overdoing it then it should not be doing any harm. Some of those boosters are supposedly only for their first water but it looks like Quik Chick is OK to repeat.

I'd call the hatchery and talk to them about this just to cover all bases. If this is happening to other customers they may have heard about it.

I'd stop the grit. It's unlikely it is contaminated but remove one variable. If all they are eating is chick feed they don't need grit.

I can't see that you are doing anything wrong at all. Hatcheries are generally really good at biosecurity and isolated in that bedroom they should not be exposed to any diseases. That brooder does not look wet which removes one concern. I don't know of any poisoning that would slowly kill a few at a time like that, especially since you are not feeding any other treats. There should not be any fumes in that bedroom.

I'm at a loss. Mainly because I don't know what is going on I'd clean out everything. Take the partition down so they have the entire area. Get rid of the newspaper and maybe get a bag of pine shavings to use as bedding. Try washing the waterer and food dish (rinse them well) and try fresh water and maybe even get a different bag of feed. Something is wrong and I don't know what it is.

ridgerunner and casportpony seem to have covered all the bases. I would just like to add that make sure they are all actually eating and drinking. I had a batch of chicks once that I discovered were throwing the crumbles around but seems like the crumbles were too big for them and they were not eating them.. Boy o boy, when I ground the crumbles down they were eating like vultures. I have also given them crumbles and warm water and make a wet mash like cream of wheat and see if they go for that.

I have also schmeared vanilla yogurt on the side of their beak to get them eating.

I attached some pictures of how they look right now. Even in the coolest part that some moved to that is 75 degrees they are laying like this
Are you sure the thermometer is accurate? Maybe move it to another room, where you are sure of the temperature, and check that it is reading something reasonable.

If the chicks act hot, and the thermometer says they "should" not be hot, definitely check the thermometer!

I think you said the warm area is 90 degrees, and the cool area is 75 degrees. If the thermometer is correct, that should be a fine range of temperatures for chicks.

Are you sure the thermometer is accurate? Maybe move it to another room, where you are sure of the temperature, and check that it is reading something reasonable.

If the chicks act hot, and the thermometer says they "should" not be hot, definitely check the thermometer!

I think you said the warm area is 90 degrees, and the cool area is 75 degrees. If the thermometer is correct, that should be a fine range of temperatures for chicks.
I've always set up my brooder and let the chicks decide what temp they want. Heat at one side and nothing on the other. They should all sleep somewhere in the middle.

I've always set up my brooder and let the chicks decide what temp they want. Heat at one side and nothing on the other. They should all sleep somewhere in the middle.
That is what I prefer too.

But it causes a problem when the whole area is too hot, or the whole area is too cold-- which is why I suggested checking how accurate the thermometer is.

It sounds like OP has a setup like you recommend, one heated side and the other cool, but the chicks are acting too hot everywhere. So either the whole area really is hot (and the thermometer is wrong), or else there is some other problem.

Back
Top Bottom