4 day old salmon faverolle chick ate whole pomegranate seed - will it cause crop impaction?

TylerEngland

Chirping
May 17, 2018
Kentucky
brand new chick got ahold of a pomegranate seed that must have been left behind from the flock's snack earlier, and somehow managed to swallow it. I'm freaking out about whether or not it'll totally block up the baby's crop. Am I overreacting?

Oh yes, you're overreacting but get accustomed to it since it is a requirement to have Faverolles. :D
brand new chick got ahold of a pomegranate seed that must have been left behind from the flock's snack earlier, and somehow managed to swallow it. I'm freaking out about whether or not it'll totally block up the baby's crop. Am I overreacting?

Have the chicks been given grit? If not, I would do that now.

they do have access to chick grit, so hopefully that will solve it. they're already acting like little dinosaurs and eating everything they can get their beaks on yet they seem so fragile lol

Last edited:
Oh yes, you're overreacting but get accustomed to it since it is a requirement to have Faverolles. :D

lol. I can believe it. that faverolle chick is something else. his siblings are cochins and cream crested legbars and I'm so glad we made the impulse to add him on. are they just really clownish and goofy and dramatic?

I’m new to chickens (my flock is 3 1/2 weeks old) so I tend to over react and panick about everything but what specifically about favorelles makes them makes us crazier?? Lol Mine have fav’s mixed in and someday I’d like a fav roo.

Yes they are extremely goofy and dramatic and it gets worse as they grow, but they're also remarkably sweet and gentle.
You'll enjoy, they are marvelous birds and very entertaining.:)

lol. I can believe it. that faverolle chick is something else. his siblings are cochins and cream crested legbars and I'm so glad we made the impulse to add him on. are they just really clownish and goofy and dramatic?

They're soap opera actors disguised as chickens lol!
They overreact to literally everything for example a butterfly stands to cause just as much panic in them as a hawk would.
You'll hear awful panicked screams like they're about to be massacred.....by a butterfly.
I got to say though the roosters are very good at their job since everything is potentially a murderer. :)

I’m new to chickens (my flock is 3 1/2 weeks old) so I tend to over react and panick about everything but what specifically about favorelles makes them makes us crazier?? Lol Mine have fav’s mixed in and someday I’d like a fav roo.

Back
Top Bottom