4 Dead Hens

annampet

Songster
Jul 2, 2018
NE Michigan
So our coop "was" what I thought fairly predator proof. Yet, somehow over the weekend something got in around 5:30 AM (I think) and killed 4 of our 5 hens.
2 had no outward injuries, 1 had a wound near the back of her head and 1 had the head completely detached with feathers pulled back to show the neck area. Head was completely gone.

I'm guessing weasel or mink based on other posts I've read. I don't think it could be anything larger. Our coop is frozen to the ground so nothing could dig under, the ground is crusty so there were no prints and the run is galvanized chicken wire 1X1 holes. No larger holes have been found so the critter had to have been small enough to squeeze through the 1X1. Does my guess sound close? Located in NE MI.

So, we're starting over this Spring. Chick days at our local TSC are going through April, we'll pick up 4 or 5 more. By the time the ground has thawed enough to move the run away from the coop, I should have time to get my DH to restructure, clean and move things around. Back to the drawing board.

So our coop "was" what I thought fairly predator proof. Yet, somehow over the weekend something got in around 5:30 AM (I think) and killed 4 of our 5 hens.
2 had no outward injuries, 1 had a wound near the back of her head and 1 had the head completely detached with feathers pulled back to show the neck area. Head was completely gone.

I'm guessing weasel or mink based on other posts I've read. I don't think it could be anything larger. Our coop is frozen to the ground so nothing could dig under, the ground is crusty so there were no prints and the run is galvanized chicken wire 1X1 holes. No larger holes have been found so the critter had to have been small enough to squeeze through the 1X1. Does my guess sound close? Located in NE MI.

So, we're starting over this Spring. Chick days at our local TSC are going through April, we'll pick up 4 or 5 more. By the time the ground has thawed enough to move the run away from the coop, I should have time to get my DH to restructure, clean and move things around. Back to the drawing board.
A weasel cannot fit through 1x1 chicken wire. Mink are 3 times the size of a weasel so there has to be a bigger gap or wire not completely secure where it might have been pulled away. A weasel cannot fit through 1x2 inch wire either. It needs to be a little bigger for a weasel to get its head through.

A weasel cannot fit through 1x1 chicken wire. Mink are 3 times the size of a weasel so there has to be a bigger gap or wire not completely secure where it might have been pulled away. A weasel cannot fit through 1x2 inch wire either. It needs to be a little bigger for a weasel to get its head through.

A weasel can fit through chicken wire. A mink probably not but a long tailed weasel and a short tailed weasel (stoat) can.

How would you go about catching the weasel or mink, to help the OP out.

We use havahart traps when we catalog but they need to be in a shallow ditch and covered a bit on top. We use bloody chicken meat in the end of the trap and hope for the best. You could always go with a body grip trap with the same method but it should eliminate the weasel. Another way of taking it out is with a .22. That’s a few ways and some with a permanent end.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use havahart traps when we catalog but they need to be in a shallow ditch and covered a bit on top. We use bloody chicken meat in the end of the trap and hope for the best. You could always go with a body grip trap with the same method but it should eliminate the weasel. Another way of taking it out is with a .22. That’s a few ways and some with a permanent end.
What do you mean “should eliminate the weasel”? Kill him or that set up won’t catch him? Do you catch a lot of mink that way?

What do you mean “should eliminate the weasel”? Kill him or that set up won’t catch him? Do you catch a lot of mink that way?

I’ve caught a fair few long tailed weasels and a few short tailed weasels. Never got a mink or a stoat. And yes, the .22 and body grip trap should kill the animal. The havahart is a live trap and you may be able to relocate the weasel if it is allowed in your area. The recommendation is to release 10miles from where trapped. I place my traps by streams of bodies of water. If they got into the coop I would place near the coop. Always make sure the bait is far enough in so the animal cannot steal the bait.

Back
Top Bottom