Please help identify this predator

mrsbigtime

Chirping
May 4, 2022
I’ve been searching articles and some threads, but I can’t quite figure this predator out.

In the spring, we were having trouble with our birds disappearing. We assumed we had a hawk problem, so we partially covered the area and that has helped tremendously. When this was happening, the whole bird would just be gone and thus, we assumed bird.

Well, this morning, we woke up to 5 of our new girls dead. One was missing completely, but 4 carcasses were spread around the chicken area in various stages of attack. One head was left, but not attached, and of the 4 bodies left, most had one foot left only.

Unfortunately, I don’t necessarily know the specific timeline of events, as I had an event after work yesterday and I didn’t check on the girls when I got home (we have an automatic door to let them in and out and it usually works very well, we’ve not yet had an issue with the chickens not getting in at night, much less 5 of them). I’ve checked our Ring cameras, but the run doesn’t trigger events to record, so I just have a general overview of happenings and can’t see anything concerning. I just know they were all healthy and happy yesterday morning, and this morning we woke to a massacre.

Any ideas on what animal would attack multiple birds, most likely during the day, and leave the carcass and foot, but detach the head? I should also note one chicken very clearly had her breast meat exposed, but left intact, so I wonder if the attack was interrupted.

Thank you. It was a rough morning over here 😭

Maybe a coyote. They sometimes eat birds in place, than maybe took one when it left. Can you put up a game camera? I would assume it will return tomorrow.

Maybe a coyote. They sometimes eat birds in place, than maybe took one when it left. Can you put up a game camera? I would assume it will return tomorrow.
Thank you. My husband suggested a game cam too. We are home the next few days, I’ll let our dog out more frequently, that will probably help too.

Gosh, it’s just such a big loss - we only had 11!

Trapped birds with nowhere to hide causes multiple kills.(tall fences) If you only have one missing and find uneaten carcasses scattered everywhere its possibly a canine. Dogs kill for sport.
I definitely thought it could be a dog, but the carcasses had been eaten on. Mostly the “chest” areas were missing, which made me consider raccoon, but one had an entire breast intact but pulled out, so I wonder if it happened just before my husband got up and him coming out to start his truck scared them away.

Whatever it is did come back and all but one hen are now gone. The sun was hardly up when we got out there this morning, so whatever it was was waiting for them.

None had heads, one body was down to just the bones, one was intact and the others had their bowels around the yard. It was a massacre.

We are going to try and find a safer home for our one remaining girl. It's too cold and now dangerous for her to be alone.

This has already been such an intense and stressful week for our family, but this just hurts so much. My poor kids are heartbroken and I feel so helpless.

Whatever it is did come back and all but one hen are now gone. The sun was hardly up when we got out there this morning, so whatever it was was waiting for them.

None had heads, one body was down to just the bones, one was intact and the others had their bowels around the yard. It was a massacre.

We are going to try and find a safer home for our one remaining girl. It's too cold and now dangerous for her to be alone.

This has already been such an intense and stressful week for our family, but this just hurts so much. My poor kids are heartbroken and I feel so helpless.
I'm sorry you've lost your flock and and hope you catch the culprit. Sounds like coons to me! I waited til almost noon today to let mine out because I let them out early all week.(Foxes are the worst) Hope you find a home for your remaining girl ! You deserve a break!

I'd bet your dealing with a raccoon family (mamma, and a couple half-grown babies.) That's why some of the birds are so mangled, the babies aren't the best killers yet.
ETA - it seems somebody already said this, whoops.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom