4 ducklings throughing head back, help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shay20, Jun 10, 2010.

1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    ok i have 4 ducklings right now throughing there heads back, and acting like a cizure, what is this?
    i had one do it the other day i held it and came back to normal, now 4 are ding it at the same time.
    they are in pine shaveing.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    just lost 3 of them, what is it ? why all at once.

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I wish i could help .. I am so sorry that you are going thru this ... Hope you figure out what it is..

4. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Thank you, i really wish i knew what it is.
    one did this to me the other day but came through, and 4 all at once, also i gave them medicated chick starter becouse i ran out of game feed last night.

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Medicated chick starter can be fatal to waterfowl if ingested in large enough quantities. Keep the medicated feed in areas where ducks and geese do not have access. Sorry about your loss.

6. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:thank you , yea my freind gypsy just told me that too.
    i wish i knew before hand, but these are my very first ducklings ever.

7. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    It is doubtful that it was the medicated feed. Most of the medications used in feeds now are completely safe for waterfowl (and have been for about the last 20 years). What you are describing could be a couple different things. Are you ever letting them run out of water? If you are and they are doing this soon after being watered, there is your answer right there (can elaborate if you give more info.). It also could be a Niacin-B deficiency although that doesn't generally result in sudden death of multiple ducklings and generally gamebird feeds have added Niacin. It certainly can though cause ducklings to fall over into seizures. If not these two possibilities, I would probably look at potential toxins. Sorry about your babies. [​IMG] HTH.

8. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:[​IMG] ummmmm actually the water thing did happen, i gave them water last night but this morning we went out and did not get back till later then thats when i gave them the water and thats when that happen. do you think that is what happened?

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG] ummmmm actually the water thing did happen, i gave them water last night but this morning we went out and did not get back till later then thats when i gave them the water and thats when that happen. do you think that is what happened?

Just an idea.. but maybe they may have choked on their food if they didnt have any water??... I dont know..
    Sorry, Shay.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  10. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass

Just an idea.. but i think they may have choked on their food if they didnt have any water...
    Sorry, Shay.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

they did not have any food at that time. it was right after they drank and spilled the whole bowl of water.
    but thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by