4 gallon waterer what am I doing wrong....just leaks out

write2caroline

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville
I spent $49.00 to purchase this horrible waterer. It is suppose to hold 4 gallons of water and flow slowly into the ring for the chickens. Yes, I read the directions. It has a black cap by the flow tube, a o ring at the large main top and I fill the sucker up and in minutes (even though we followed directions with the correct placement of both items) it just flows out and makes a mess leaving my chickens with limited water supply. I have all kinds of back up waterers and nibs but I was so excited for this waterer and to find I should have saved my money! This waterer has a white container for the water and that fits into a red ring like container from which the chickens drink.

Anyone else tried this type of waterer?

Caroline

Last edited:
Are you putting the small black cap back on above the drain hole. Also, make sure the top is on just right, They will leak all water out if there's an air leak. I have three of these I had some problems at first but now I know how much to tighten the top on.

I don't know the water system you're talking about but remember water will always seek it's own level. You have to have the drain hole, tube or whatever yours has plugged or water will continue to flow till it empty. You don't want any drain hole higher than about a quarter inch below the catch basin lip. The water containers I have, have the holes are lower than that. Do you have a picture of it? I'd like to see what you have.
smile.png

Take the top off, and clean the O ring well
Fill the waterer as full as you can, and rub a little Vaseline or vegetable oil on the O ring.

Rinse the inside of the top and put it on snugly.

Remove the small cap at the bottom and make sure it doesn't overfill the reservoir.
If it starts to overflow, tighten the top a little more.

Also be SURE the waterer is sitting level

Make sure the O ring is always clean and wet when you screw on the lid and it should work fine from now on

I'm sorry but I have only heard bad things about those. Several people have said they burnt and melted.
It would suck to scrap it and start over but if you deicde to build a new one, let me know and I'll help you out.
This is what I use:

It has a bucket heater in it that keeps the water warm when it freezes

I'm sorry but I have only heard bad things about those. Several people have said they burnt and melted.
It would suck to scrap it and start over but if you decide to build a new one, let me know and I'll help you out.
This is what I use:

It has a bucket heater in it that keeps the water warm when it freezes
What kind of heater?? I use dog bowls and we have to fill it constantly, am looking for a bigger bucket that doesn't freeze in the winter
lol.png

Ayda

Back
Top Bottom