4-H Chickens???

TexasChicken12

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
I am 12 and am interested in showing chickens in 4-H. I don't know anything about showing AT ALL. Could I use Sebrights? They are my favorite! Where is the best place to find a show quality Sebright chick where I don't have to get 10? If my 4-H club doesn't have a program for chickens then where else could I show? Thanks so much for your help.

Do you have a 4-H leader that knows anything about chickens? That would be the best place to start.

Sebrights are cute little things, I think they'd make great show birds. They're not known for being the calmest, though, or the easiest to handle, so you might take that into consideration for something like showmanship.

This time of year, hatcheries are gearing down for the winter and sometimes selection is limited. You can look at My Pet Chicken, they have a minimum order of 3 chicks, but I'm not sure if that applies to bantams or not. If there's anyone else in your group looking for birds, maybe you can split an order? I've done that some and it's worked out well, you just have to be sure you're ordering breeds you can easily tell apart, or have the hatchery mark them!

Our leaders don't know anything about chickens. Where else could I start? Can you show multiple birds at a show? What categories are there? I think MyPetChicken only has Sebright hatching eggs. Can you get descent birds from Tractor Supply? Our Tractor Supply orders from Ideal. Thank you very much!

So, you are currently active in 4-H? If so, have you attended the county fair this summer or in a recent year? That is a great way to identify those other 4-Hers who are active in the poultry project and who can be a great resource for information as you start out in the project. You can also contact the extension office which oversees the 4-H program in your county for resource information of other youth and/or leaders who are familiar with and active in the poultry project who can help to mentor you - additionally, the extension office can also be a resource for the information specific to the project.

I am the club secratery, so I am very active. We haven't been to the county fair in a while. Can you show pullets and cockrals? Thanks for your time!

Back
Top Bottom