4-H Showing and Choosing

WalkerH

Songster
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Southern Maryland, USA
This probably sounds silly, but how do you decide which chickens to show? Obviously they are going to be sold off, hopefully, at the end. I have searched for a breed standard for mine, GLW, and can't find one. So how do you know which ones to take?

This is DD's first year selling after the show, and she's taking the ones we least want around (i.e. the meanest roos). It could be interesting watching her handle them for showmanship.

Hahah that is a good idea Iceh. Even my meanest of roos don't mind being held once caught though. I was just reading around and it was saying that a lot of birds are sold off for meat, probably where I got that idea Henferno.

Quote:
Ahh, I've seen a few surplus showbirds with For Sale tags, here and there, but it doesn't happen often. The meat pen thing is a big 4-H attraction and very popular.

You don't just have to hold them, you also have to walk them on a table, and usually put them in and out of a cage. I would not recommend showing any bird in 4H that has not been handled extensively.

Just choose your nicest bird for your showmanship bird, show the others as breeders or meat birds if you're growing a meat pen.

Ive been in the Poultry project for 3 years, waterfowl of 6, and the way I was taught is by looking at two things
1. Temperament
2. Best to APA Standard

When showing purebred poultry both of these aspects are very important. Not only will this bird be judged to APA standard (well usually:rolleyes:) but the child will be show the bird on the table, which means he/she will have to pick up the bird and show the parts of the animal + they will also want to show off the breed to the best of there abilities ;show well conditioned bird, to the standard, as well as posing to the standard etc, etc.

Now the hens don't really need to have all those points, mainly just to the best of the standard.

Now lets say you have three roosters, one is gorgeous, a picture perfect animal, but he will take your hand off, well he wouldn't make for an animal for the show table.
Rooster number 2 is friendly, stands still, and is tolerant of the other animals, but he is missing feathers, lost a toe nail, legs are the wrong color etc, etc. Well he may not be the best for the conformation aspect of showing.
Roo #3 is tolerable, has a nice body, close to the breed standard, well he would probably the bird you want to keep, because he is the better of both worlds of showing.
But that was how I was taught, and to each his own!
cool.png

In CA, we base alot of points off of being able to work with the bird/not knowledge...knowlegde should be for avian bowl a/o knowledge quiz. The parts of CA showmanship are as follows, in any order the judge would prefer:

Examine the Bird: you learn how to go through a bird, for when buying, or for if that member is ever judging. Steps:
1. Head: looking at comb, eyes, beak wattles, etc...
2. Wings: condition, color, underside for mites
3. Undercolor: checking undercolor, and for mites
4. Width of Back: checking the bone structure size for width
Turn bird tail up head down(hanging against chest)
5. Keel Bone: Feel for straightness
6. Vent: Look for mites, and for production signs(color of skin, moistness)
7. Debth of Abdomen: checking for production signs(wider =higher production)
8. Width Between Pubic Bones: checking for signs of production(wider =higher production)
9. Feet: Checking color of shanks, feet, and nails, and staightness of toes
Walking the Bird: you learn how to control your bird.
You walk your bird across a table. Walk it however far the judge asks you, never more. You may possibly walk it back.
Posing the Bird: you learn how to pose a bird according to breed standard.
In CA you may not use treats in showmanship, but you may practice with treats to bring the birds head up. usefull treats include: cat food, cheese bits, peices of corn, or
something edible that your bird likes.
Caging the Bird: you learn how to properly place a bird in a cage.
Most important thing here is always headfirst. Place the bird in head first. Then pose, so that the judge sees the profile of the bird. Then Remove and listen to what the
judge has to say for final directions.
Knowledge:
Judges in CA ask alot of questions about your showmanship bird. Breed, variety, sex(C,H,K,P) and why(age), Class, Lrg counterpart and its class, other varieties. other
states ask questions on diseases(name, treatment, signs) and so on.

The main things in this process are:
1. Smile
2. Do only what the judge asks, nothing more (directions)
3. Posture: not robotic, NOT lazy... you should look Proffesional.

Again this is what i have experienced in CA. Other states may be different.
~Zach Rose, CA

Last edited:
Actually, here in VA nobody seems to expect kids to walk the birds on the table -- I think it's a West Coast thing, or maybe a big poultry state thing. We did a ton of prep work before her first show thinking she'd have to do that (I even bought a pointer for her to encourage the bird to walk) and the people here looked at me like I had 3 heads when I mentioned the table. They just expect the kids to handle the bird, get it in and out of a cage properly, pose it, and answer a ton of questions.

Anyway, her roos aren't unhandlable (is that a word), just a little fiesty. They're cockerels actually, so they can only throw their weight around so much.

Back
Top Bottom