4 Legbars Hatched...And all 4 are boys!

PeculiarSmith

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Peculiar, MO
Can you believe my luck? I had four legbars hatch yesterday/last night. And ALL FOUR ARE COCKERELS! Really, what are the chances of that? I'm not sure if I should get more eggs and hatch again or just buy some pullets!

Can you believe my luck? I had four legbars hatch yesterday/last night. And ALL FOUR ARE COCKERELS! Really, what are the chances of that? I'm not sure if I should get more eggs and hatch again or just buy some pullets!

Oh no...
tongue.png
what about the last one? I'm not sure what to recommend, but I'm sure they're beautiful. Do you have any pics?

Here's a pic. They're still a little damp, but I don't see any stripes, and they all have a light spot on their head.
sad.png
I also have one lemon cuckoo orpington in the batch.

One of them has a little lighter spot on the head, but I don't see any distinctive stripes. I kept hoping that as they dried they would look more like females! This is the first time I'm hatched legbars.

I guess you just proved the old aged question, Do you get more boys in the fall and more girls in the spring. I got more girls in all my hatches this spring and summer.

Here's a pic. They're still a little damp, but I don't see any stripes, and they all have a light spot on their head.
sad.png
I also have one lemon cuckoo orpington in the batch.

Is the one with the darker (less bright) spot the one on the far left or second from the right? Check their faces as they dry. Some females do have a spot, it's just not as big and bright as the boys. They're all beautiful though :)

In the first picture I posted, the one one the far left has a lighter head spot and a "bit" of a stripe down the back. Do you think I mights have a girl after all? I'll post another pic when they are more dry. I guess I thought sexing them would be more obvious than this! LOL

In the first picture I posted, the one one the far left has a lighter head spot and a "bit" of a stripe down the back. Do you think I mights have a girl after all? I'll post another pic when they are more dry. I guess I thought sexing them would be more obvious than this! LOL

You know that's something we've been discussing in the CLB threads. It SHOULD be easier to tell them apart...but so many dark males and females with headspots have been allowed to breed that it's getting a little tougher to tell the difference. Wait until they're dry. Girls should have clear dark stripes that run through the head all the way to tail, and clear eyeliner.

Back
Top Bottom