4 mo old orpingtons...old enough to eat??

TNBarnQueen

Songster
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
East Tennessee
I have a flock of Buff Orpingtons that are 4 months old today. At what age is best to put them in freezer? They are good size but have many feathers too! This is my first time raising Chickens to eat. Thanks!!

I like to get to 18 or 19 weeks with our dual purpose birds. I think it is personal preference....we don`t find them tough at that age and they have a little more filling out time. That being said...on our last processing we did some 16 week olds who were driving us crazy and they came out very nice, just a little smaller.

Orpingtons take a little longer than 4 months. I would take them at least 22-24 weeks as they fill out even more that last month and a half.

Thanks for the information. I don't know what I would have done if my friend had not told me about this site. It is absolutely wonderful! One other thing I am wondering and will start a new thread on it as well if I do not find one. Is there a special way I should feed my meaties before butchering? I know when I was growing up we isolated the cattle to be slaughtered and grain fed them. Do you recommend this with chickens? Thanks so much!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I just feed mine the same thing that have always had, just take away the feed the night before and butcher in the morning kinda thing

Back
Top Bottom