4 month chick brain damage?

1987chicklover

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2016
So my 4 month chick was found on the ground possibly having a seizure? I went and picked it up with a towel/rag. My first thought was "it broke its neck..." Since its neck was tucked under its body like if it had broke. I then realized that's not the problem since it lifted up its head without signs of damage. The afternoon before the chick was completely fine , eating, drinking water, being able to walk around finely . But I did notice that it's head was tilted when it was walking as if one of its eyes where blind but I couldn't figure out why. So I had my chick in a rag in my hands struggling to survive. I started to lose hope that it was going to survive so I set my chick on a picnic table while I sat next to it making sure nothing happend , then the miracle happened , it opened its eyes and started to walk it then jumped off the table ( it was ok) and started to walk away and be the chick that didn't let me be near it .it sat down I went to get it food and she started pecking around for it . She seemed very wobbly and unstable . She then kinda started to sun bathe . I'm not sure what could have happend except for brain damage . The chick still walks around with her head tilted and I'm just hoping for the best .

This is a picture . It's hard to see the chick but I didn't want to get closer since she would try to get away from me and I want her to get some rest . You can somewhat see her head tilted like I had mentioned. Oh and I managed to get her into a chicken coop and she's eating and drinking but I still want to know what's wrong and how to prevent it from happening

Last edited:
This is a common problem called wry neck or torticolis. It can be a symptom of a vitamin E deficiency, a head injury, or some diseases that affect the brain. Sometimes they will run in circles or walk backward. Give her 2 ml of Poultry Nutri-drench daily, or give her some poultry vitamins in her water, plus some chopped egg daily. Selenium and vitamin E are the main treatment, and egg contains selenium. Make sure that she can get enough to eat and drink.

This is a common problem called wry neck or torticolis. It can be a symptom of a vitamin E deficiency, a head injury, or some diseases that affect the brain. Sometimes they will run in circles or walk backward. Give her 2 ml of Poultry Nutri-drench daily, or give her some poultry vitamins in her water, plus some chopped egg daily. Selenium and vitamin E are the main treatment, and egg contains selenium. Make sure that she can get enough to eat and drink.

Thank you I will do that. Does the egg have to be boiled or scrambled? Or does it not matter?

It doesn't matter. I usually lightly scramble one and mash it with a potato masher when cool. Raw is even okay, mixed with some yogurt, and breadcrumbs or feed.
Ok I have gave her some egg and she eats and drinks but also looks sick . She can't open one of her eyes now and her eye that she can open looks a little strange . I don't think she will survive even with all the help I have given her :(

It can also be caused by a bump or peck to the head. Breeds with vaulted skulls(some silkies) are especially vulnerable.

Although my chick isn't a silkie or polish I think it was caused by a chicken pecking her. All our chicks are kept away from older chickens except for when I take them out of there chicken coops since they are free ranged chickens. During that time I think the injury might have happened.

I have great news! My chick no longer has wry neck or Atleast not as severely! She is doing great although she isnt comfortable walking yet she doesn't look like she is gasping for air anymore. I'm just waiting for the whole recovery! :)

Back
Top Bottom