4-month old hen with possibly impacted crop???

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
Hello, anyone out there???!!! I feel like a stepchild, because nobody is responding to my post, and I'm really freaked out about this. I've now separated Sophie from the rest and put here in a cat carrier in my kitchen. She just stands there, and her crop is still the same size and consistency, but she has pooped twice in the last 20 minutes (normal looking). I put some water with a little bit of ACV in there with her, but she looked at it, probably smelled the vinegar, and turned her nose up at it. When I tried to massage her crop (which by the way is not centered, but over to the right of her chest), she acted like she was gagging, and definitely did not care for it. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Sorry to hear you are having a problem. I have not had this myself but I have seen lots of advice on here about this. Go to the top of the page and search for 'impacted crop' - you will find replies to other people's posts on this subject. Good luck!

Why do you think the crop is impacted? Is it very hard, or squishy to the touch? Is it enlarged first thing in the morning before she eats?

I have also heard that soaking bread in olive oil and have her eat that... it will help to move things along

Sorry about the repeat post, guys, but I was really freaked out (I've only been in "chicken world" for 5 months), and nobody was responding to my post. I'm going to check on poor Sophie first thing in the morning, and if her crop still looks and feels like a tennis ball, I'll try the bread with olive oil, and then I'll be back on here, trying to figure out what else to do.
Thanks
hmm.png

Try searching impacted crop (search button in above blue bar). You should find a lot of info as it has been covered many times.

Back
Top Bottom