4 month old hen with wry neck

Treatment can take weeks to really make a difference, and it's better to use a multivitamin rather than just one vitamin. Several vitamin deficiencies can manifest as wry neck. It must be delivered via dropper, orally, twice a day, everyday.

Here is the ill one, I usually feed her on my lap but I was holding the camera, you can see at the end of it the thing it does with is its head -

Is that their feed? Could be that he's been picking and choosing what bits he eats, and not eating everything he should be. That may be why he has developed wryneck. I suggest a pelleted feed so that he has no choice but to get balanced nutrition with each bite. It's easier to wet down into a gruel for feeding sick birds, too.

Yeah he's on growers pellets too but he doesn't eat them when offered them I was feeding it live mealworms that I had for its protein and also some cheese strings, I still have a bag of dried mealworms that I could soak and coat them with the medicine if that would be better for it, if they're all roosters though I might have to part with them unless I can figure out a way to keep them without the neighbours hating me

Last edited:
I just learned that they can crow all through the day not just the morning.. Meaning I will most definately have to part with them.. Gutted :/

Yeah he's on growers pellets too but he doesn't eat them when offered them I was feeding it live mealworms that I had for its protein and also some cheese strings, I still have a bag of dried mealworms that I could soak and coat them with the medicine if that would be better for it, if they're all roosters though I might have to part with them unless I can figure out a way to keep them without the neighbours hating me
Only offer him pelleted feed. He's not going to starve himself. A balanced feed is what he really needs. And the vitamin drops need to go straight into the mouth, and in any water that he has access to.

Will do thanks for all the help everyone, they had all been eating a well balanced diet beforehand though I just mean since he's taken ill he prefers the grain, they all eat half a bowl of fermented mixed grain and half of growers pellets with a small handful of black oil sunflower seeds every morning, then different treats throughout the week usually boiled pasta or cheese strings and the mealworms but they've ran out, they still get dried mealworms a couple times a week though, also they have one of those nipple drinkers with a dash of apple cider vinegar each time it's refilled, and they have access to the yard 24/7 (automatic door opener in the mornings) Ive tried to give them all the best quality of life possible, has anyone used the no crow rooster caller? Or know how well it works, trying to keep my chooks if possible

Will do thanks for all the help everyone, they had all been eating a well balanced diet beforehand though I just mean since he's taken ill he prefers the grain, they all eat half a bowl of fermented mixed grain and half of growers pellets with a small handful of black oil sunflower seeds every morning, then different treats throughout the week usually boiled pasta or cheese strings and the mealworms but they've ran out, they still get dried mealworms a couple times a week though, also they have one of those nipple drinkers with a dash of apple cider vinegar each time it's refilled, and they have access to the yard 24/7 (automatic door opener in the mornings) Ive tried to give them all the best quality of life possible, has anyone used the no crow rooster caller? Or know how well it works, trying to keep my chooks if possible
They should only be fed the grower pellets, and it should be available all day long. Grains should not be mixed with the feed. Grains are high in calories but are seriously lacking in overall nutrition. That is how they develop nutrient deficiencies. You think you are spoiling them or treating them well, when the reality is that you haven't been feeding them properly and now one is having serious problems. It makes you happy to give them treats, but it's not good for them. Chickens are like little kids, given the choice they will pick dessert over dinner every time.

Back
Top Bottom