4 month old hen with wry neck

Not saying it is Marek's but you would be cavalier introducing such a bird to your flock, especially when it has no or poor breeding potential, and take the risk for no gain and just an extra mouth to feed, as was suggested in adding them to the uncle's employers flock in the orchard!

Yes, your older hens may be keeping the boys in line at the moment and that is a good thing....they will be teaching them some manners.... but sooner or later those hormones will kick in and then you may start feeling happier about seeing the back of them..... as will your hens!

Good luck

Barbara

Ohh I'm not keeping them to breed, they will strictly be as pets without a doubt, I had no plans on ever getting roosters actually but I've got attached now, I think I will keep them and see if they turn out to be as peaceful and submissive as they enter adulthood, the 2 head hens seem to make a tag team at the top and the orpington is the beta lol if it could stay that way it would be ideal but if they grow into rough guys then I can send them to live in the orchard it's a pretty big area so they'll have lots of space to roam

Oh ok I get you now lol ah well, the orchard is more of a free for all he will feed them but they will be foraging for the most part, but that's the worst case scenario hopefully as you say the hens will teach them some manners and they can co exist, I don't mind the cost of feeding them pellets aren't too expensive it's really the noise that's the issue but wel see how things go, thanks for the help

Not saying it is Marek's but you would be cavalier introducing such a bird to your flock, especially when it has no or poor breeding potential, and take the risk for no gain and just an extra mouth to feed, as was suggested in adding them to the uncle's employers flock in the orchard!

Yes, your older hens may be keeping the boys in line at the moment and that is a good thing....they will be teaching them some manners.... but sooner or later those hormones will kick in and then you may start feeling happier about seeing the back of them..... as will your hens!

Good luck

Barbara
I think anytime a person introduces new birds into their flock it is a substantial risk.

Oh ok I get you now lol ah well, the orchard is more of a free for all he will feed them but they will be foraging for the most part, but that's the worst case scenario hopefully as you say the hens will teach them some manners and they can co exist, I don't mind the cost of feeding them pellets aren't too expensive it's really the noise that's the issue but wel see how things go, thanks for the help
I agree with Barbara that these birds do present a substantial risk to the orchard flock. Perhaps the gentleman isn't concerned with the scenario...but I would hope (assume) that you would be very honest in explaining what has happened with the rooster with the wry neck and the entire story of the roosters so the orchard fellow can access whether he truly wants them or not. Some people wouldn't have an issue...some people would. As long as you give him all the facts.

I was going to mention, do you or can you get vitamins/electrolyte powder from either your vet or your animal feed store for chickens that you can mix for him. It should contain the balances that a chicken requires...if it has electrolytes that's so much better because it will give him energy to keep going to see if the vitamins work. There may be a possibility that this rooster may have to be put down.

I didn't know about the electrolytes I will go to the feed store today and see if they have that, the owner of the orchard said its fine he has chickens running around in there just so the place isn't empty its sort of like a sanctuary I guess, he doesn't bother with them much, he owns an open farm so he can get feed cheap for them and they get any scraps too it's like a mini forest but they aren't his pets by any means he just lets them stay in it , so no problems there

Sad news :'( he wouldn't eat his mash this morning he wasn't able to keep his eyes open it was like he was too tired so I thought I'd leave it an hour incase he was just tired, I tried again with live mealworms I bought this morning but he was just the same couldn't keep her eyes open, I soaked the worms so they were more wriggly and easier to swallow but he just wasn't interested, I called the vet he came out and took a look at her, he said he thinks it received an injury to the head at some point and its deteriorated since, that at this point it was best to put him to sleep, was in tears :'( poor thing at least its not suffering anymore

Thats what i was thinking too,Wry neck can either be a head injury or a vitamin issue,a injury to the head usually can not be cured.

Its alright he will be somewhere better i had to put mine down after seven months.
hugs.gif

Sad news :'( he wouldn't eat his mash this morning he wasn't able to keep his eyes open it was like he was too tired so I thought I'd leave it an hour incase he was just tired, I tried again with live mealworms I bought this morning but he was just the same couldn't keep her eyes open, I soaked the worms so they were more wriggly and easier to swallow but he just wasn't interested, I called the vet he came out and took a look at her, he said he thinks it received an injury to the head at some point and its deteriorated since, that at this point it was best to put him to sleep, was in tears :'( poor thing at least its not suffering anymore
I'm so sorry to hear that.
hugs.gif
That's very commendable you to get him checked out and with that diagnosis...save him from suffering any further.
I chose to put my guy down when it was clear he was tired of trying.

As Master of Clucker mentioned...it can be injury too. Wry neck is such a guessing game. It's so hard but it's always the right choice to limit their suffering.

In regards to the electrolytes...I keep a few different powder medicines and electrolyte/vitamin mixes on hand, just in case. Here they aren't expensive. It never fails...when something happens, it's always on the weekend. I'm not close to any feed stores.

Since the orchard man is ok with the birds going there...what are your plans for the remaining 3?

Back
Top Bottom