4 month old question

newtothis2011

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 5, 2011
Do they need food and water in the coop while they are closed in for the night? They have access to food and water all day.

They do. They don't see well enough to be eating and drinking all night, but might want to eat and drink as soon as it starts to get light. Ours will sometimes eat just before going to bed, too. Bok.

My chooks r 4 months old and have been out in coop since week 5 and I have never put water or feed in the coop at night. I have a little roosting coop with an attached run. I dont' have a lot of room in there for food and water and the 2 night I did put it in there they made a freekin mess. Once they go in at night I lock them up and then I let them out around 7am everyday and they run to the feed. I figure if I dont' eat and drink all night why should they? lol its been almost 10 weeks since I have been doing this and it doesn't seem to be a problem

I don't have feed and water in the coop at night unless it is winter and there is snow on the ground, and then it is in there 24/7. My birds are pastured so I like them to have to come outside, they eat more grasses that way. MW

Food and water at night may serve as an added attractant to rats and some predators. It is not necessary if they are fed ad lib during the day.

Back
Top Bottom