4 month old Rhode Island Red - Rooster?

ChickenLisa3

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Ballard, Seattle, WA
I have not had any doubts that Ginger is a hen until I'm pretty sure I heard "her" cock-a-doodle-doo this morning. All three of our chickens were loud today, but I've never heard any of them sound like this before. "She" is 4 months old, so I thought the red comb and wattles were normal before laying starts, and they weren't there on "her" until the past month or so.

Can you tell from this photo if Ginger is a roo? "She" is with our Dominique Henrietta, same age.

I can try to get more photos to add if this isn't helpful, but taking pictures of them is harder than taking pictures of my 3 year old! :p

Thanks for any guesses!

Lisa

Some hens do crow.

A side shot and maybe a shot from above would be helpful, this front shot isn't telling us much.

Ginger is a very pretty hen. In your second picture you can see she has round tail feathers not the pointy sickle feathers of a male. Some hens will crow. I have a BO that crows when she has a clutch of chicks.

Did you confirm that Ginger is in fact a hen and not a roo? I have what is supposed to be a red sexlink hen but is very different from the other girls. She looks just like your ginger so I'm curious if you've confirmed she is a hen? Thank you!

Last edited:
Do
I have not had any doubts that Ginger is a hen until I'm pretty sure I heard "her" cock-a-doodle-doo this morning. All three of our chickens were loud today, but I've never heard any of them sound like this before. "She" is 4 months old, so I thought the red comb and wattles were normal before laying starts, and they weren't there on "her" until the past month or so. Can you tell from this photo if Ginger is a roo? "She" is with our Dominique Henrietta, same age. I can try to get more photos to add if this isn't helpful, but taking pictures of them is harder than taking pictures of my 3 year old! :p Thanks for any guesses! Lisa
you still have your RIR named Ginger ive just got some chickens and they are RIR

My rhode islands are almost 4 months old, they all have pointy tail feathers but their comb and waddle look pink... They are smaller in size from the actual rooster.. I dont know how else to tell if they are hens or roosters

My rhode islands are almost 4 months old, they all have pointy tail feathers but their comb and waddle look pink... They are smaller in size from the actual rooster.. I dont know how else to tell if they are hens or roosters
if comb and pink at 4months old chance is hen bit a mute roo sometimes maybe impossible to sex until time to lay eggs and all ya get is a crow but once when i was a young girl i had a hen thats was laying eggs and something got my roo 3weeks layer she started crowing.can you post some pictures even with pointed tsil does not mean they are not hens

Back
Top Bottom