4 months of molting , white feathers coming in yellow and complete personality change from cuddly to attack dog.

Is she your only duck? If not, how is she acting towards the others?

The yellowing could be caused by the 'waterproofing' gland if she over-grooms. My white Magpie gets this all the time, trying to turn back into a duckling!

As for her actions, she sounds scared of something. Has she been traumatized by anything? Perhaps keeping her in a small enclosure, and a crate at night so she feels more secure, would help.

Wow , poor baby ! Thanks for the reply , helps to know this is normal !
No poor baby with my great lump of duck! 14lbs and by demanding attention I am using euphemisms for biting my ankles and clothes and holding on until I pet him!!! My ankles and shins are blue with bruises. I did feel sorry for him, though when he was so out of sorts molting and his coop mates started bullying him

Is she your only duck? If not, how is she acting towards the others?

The yellowing could be caused by the 'waterproofing' gland if she over-grooms. My white Magpie gets this all the time, trying to turn back into a duckling!

As for her actions, she sounds scared of something. Has she been traumatized by anything? Perhaps keeping her in a small enclosure, and a crate at night so she feels more secure, would help.
Yes she’s an only duck . Not sure she knows she’s a duck . It’s my daughters , she’s never alone as she stays with me on overnights when my daughter ( nurse) works . She is constantly picking and grooming and loves staying in bath long , twice a day .
I wonder if something spooked her when in yard …. She refuses to go out unless someone is with her !

No poor baby with my great lump of duck! 14lbs and by demanding attention I am using euphemisms for biting my ankles and clothes and holding on until I pet him!!! My ankles and shins are blue with bruises. I did feel sorry for him, though when he was so out of sorts molting and his coop mates started bullying him
😂 same , I feel physically abused ! 🥴

Yes she’s an only duck . Not sure she knows she’s a duck . It’s my daughters , she’s never alone as she stays with me on overnights when my daughter ( nurse) works . She is constantly picking and grooming and loves staying in bath long , twice a day .
I wonder if something spooked her when in yard …. She refuses to go out unless someone is with her !
Sounds like a Diva

Being an only duck may be the whole root of the behavioural problems. No matter how much attention we give them, they still need the company of other ducks. They are not psychologically meant to be without their own kind. Humans, or even other birds, cannot replace this for them.

Not saying this to be mean, but it's cruel to keep her without a ducky companion. Check around to see if you can find her a companion. All of you will be happier. :)

Back
Top Bottom