4 Pirates adrift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Lost our Ammo? What was this...day four? C'mon, try a dose of reality!

Means it was resolved. The pirates are dead and the Captain is okay. Things take time sometimes just like Englishchick said. Sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted. Harder to criticize when it's done right.

Try that dose of reality I suggested and then come talk to me.

Last edited:
Jena, you are 100% right, and I AM an American. I like a fight as much as the next guy/gal, but this one was handled right, he is free, they are dead. What more could you ask for? I thought he was a goner for sure... I am SO happy he is free.

Quote:
Lost our Ammo? What was this...day four? C'mon, try a dose of reality!

Means it was resolved. The pirates are dead and the Captain is okay. Things take time sometimes just like Englishchick said. Sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted. Harder to criticize when it's done right.

ACTUALLY it did turn out the way we wanted it just took too darn long for somebody to grow some. Probably our exchanges and poll results saved this mans life. This was a political mess for him if the captain died especially after having the navy turn away under small arms fire. Long after this man is home and this is forgotten it will be remembered that a US Navy ship turned tail under small arms fire from small time thugs.

I think it will be longer remembered that the man is free and safe. Sometimes you lose a battle and win the war.
Edit to add. maybe while the "retreated" they were slipping the navy seals into the water and making a big show of "running away" so the pirates would let down their guard. All is not what it seems at first glance in strategy of war...

Last edited:
Thank You Onthespot,

I watch the news here all the time, and I have been waiting days for something to happen here. The French rescued some people the other day from a yacht, but the father of the family was killed.

I have seen images of the guys on the US Naval Ship and you can see their total frustration on their faces, but these guys were in a small boat that is completely covered apart from a small doorway. Itas clear that if any shots had been fired, they would kill the Captain.

So I understand the frustration felt that this has taken so long, but really there was no choice, and to these people life is cheap, they have no care at all about killing people. The things they do are beyond comprehension.

They have been making millions of pounds in ransoms, and some of that is going to fund terrorist organisations. If governments acknowledge them in any way, it is giving them credible publicity. It does not mean that the governments are doing nothing.

Quote:
I worded it poorly. What I meant was that the real military was handling it (and I am sure they were trying to figure out the best possible tactic) while some on this board were calling for an idealized movie version of the military (aka: Rambo) to rush in guns blazing.

This was a challenging situation, and any rescuers would have been seen on the open sees from very far away and could have caused the pirates to panic and open fire on all hostages.

I have full confidence in our military and do not feel that they are the types who will not have their voices heard, they are not silent marshmallows. Also, they are a diverse population with diverse views on politics and on how best to solve any tactical issue.

Quote:
I worded it poorly. What I meant was that the real military was handling it (and I am sure they were trying to figure out the best possible tactic) while some on this board were calling for an idealized movie version of the military (aka: Rambo) to rush in guns blazing.

This was a challenging situation, and any rescuers would have been seen on the open sees from very far away and could have caused the pirates to panic and open fire on all hostages.

I have full confidence in our military and do not feel that they are the types who will not have their voices heard, they are not silent marshmallows. Also, they are a diverse population with diverse views on politics and on how best to solve any tactical issue.

Not one person mentioned going in guns blazing. But the closed lifeboat was to the navy seals advantage, and he had already tried to escape once and the Navy under orders not to return fire did nothing. He should have been freed on the FIRST escape attempt. I cannot imagine his confusion when the Navy did nothing and he had to swim back to his captors.

I am completely happy and relieved that he is free and unharmed physically. WE should never turn tail from small arms fire, maybe hold our ground but never turn tail. To be honest I think the reports of the ship turning tail and the backlash is what finally got action. It is a shame it took outcries to get the Navy to go in "guns blazing".

Rambo was a disgraceful movie and a slap to our fine servicemen present and past, the reference to this veteran and former member of TNT is considered another slap. And I found the movie as a insult to law enforcement as well.

Last edited:
It's awfully easy to sit on your living room couch and say "well, what I would do...". None of us were there. None of us truly know the full situation. I am happy with the end result, the man is free and relativly unharmed. Good job!

Quote:
Sorry, not quite sure what you mean.

The pirates are not going to "pee their pants" just because we bring a shotgun to a knife fight. Their logic, ideas of survival, love of life, etc., are simply not like ours.

Ed

Sir, they were messing with us and other countrys as well. They are being bullys and deserve to be smacked upside the head. We should bomb their port too.

And just because they think differently from us dosen't mean they get off scot free.

Sorry, but when I read through the posts again that does seem to be the sentiment of some. I agree that it was a shameful movie and painted a silly, inaccurate picture of the military, which is why I referenced it when it seemed that some were calling for that sort of behavior by referring to "firepower to pee their pants" and "lighting a fire" "boot up their ......".

If the military waited to go in, I am sure that they had good reason to. I sincerely doubt they behaved in reaction to public outcry, I"m sure they were too busy trying to diffuse this to even see the news. We weren't there, we didn't see the conditions on the water and the intricacies involved. So we can't judge that they didn't go in fast enough to suit us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom