4 Raccoons Killed A Hen and Our Only Duck! Updated - Caught one + PIC

Catch any more ??

If a pellet gun is all you have to shoot at them with, I would stick with the trap. Shouldnt be too awful hard to catch 4 in a cage trap. Try a can of tuna with holes poked in the top.

Might wanna skin them coons out, last I knew they were supposed to be bringing around $25-$30 this year.

Thanks for the reminder Nifty. We are getting kind of forgetful about putting "the babies" away in a timely manner. We will have to be more vigilant.

Nifty-you already used a pellet gun and then the very next night you caught one....what does that tell you about the raccoons being afraid of the pellet gun?
I found a possum in my coop fifteen min. later than I usually close and lock up. It had killed one chook. I know that feeling of walking to the coop and hearing something and your gut telling you it is bad! Thanks for the reminder to all of us to watch the time but it does happen to all of us.

Hi all, we have a major coon problem as we have a neighbouring farm two properties away that is a commercial poultry farm. His chicken coops are massive and fortified but he throws all his culls in a pit out back and provides huge protein for the coons. Net result is we have a problem here.
He doesn't want to cooperate so I have several humane traps, catch 'em live then what would you guys do.... teach 'em how to swim ( still in the cage ) or feed them a little lead pill or drive them five miles away and make them someone elses problem. We have two dogs ( border collies ) but some of the coons are as big as them...
Pls give me yr advice !

Quote:
First of all, DO NOT RELOCATE THEM!!!! Five miles is nothing - they will be back in a day or two. It is also not fair to others!!! Just take care of the problem. Shooting is probably the most humane!!

I would also report the neighbor that is creating a "public nusiance" by attracking the racoons (and probably other predators) to the area.

Cindy

Hi Lavenderman - welcome to BYC! We are glad you found us.

You need to start your own thread with your own questions, that way people will be more likely to see it and help with answers.

So, start a new thread in "Predators and Pests" and people with experience will be there to help you out with the raccoon issue.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
Nifty, first let me tell you how sorry I am for your loss. It is hard even though we all know that chickens are natures snack.

You need to keep the trap going every night until you do not catch a coon for a week. Coons go on a nightly adventure and if they find your chickens, they will be there every night until they are caught, the chickens are all gone or something has their attention more so that your property.

Raccoons are from the feline family and they DO climb. Yes, they are cute, I have a soft spot for them. However, you will need to dispatch the ones you catch. I am guessing that in the state of Kalicommie that you are not allowed to discharge a weapon.

A pellet gun to the ear canal will do it. The pelt will be intact and you can give the carcass to someone who will use it.

I will kill coons, possums, armadillos, rats and dogs. I live in the country and death on the farm is very common even without me doing the deed.

Also, I am finding that the animals you would think should be coming out only at night are expanding their hunting time. It does not matter if you are in a cold or warm climate.

Back
Top Bottom