4 therms, 4 temps! Little Giant...New Q on Clay vs. Water weasel...?

Why can't the medical thermometer simply be pushed through the side of the bator? That's what I did and it's a press tight fit so no air flow around it. The medical thermometer (digital) is sticking an inch or more into the bator, and has been really consistent. It was reading 1.5 to 2 degrees more than the other thermometers--no wonder my first hatch was so early! My last chick hatched on day 18, and duckling on day 25, both 3 days early. I used 4 thermometers, all of which seemed to be similar readings, but obviously they were all reading low, resulting in too high a temp and low hatch rate. This time everything will be better!
fl.gif

here is a bit of advice,(about 4 days late) calibrate your therms before you set the eggs.. How could you preset your bator in the first place??

as for OP. for the time being, pick one that you "trust" the most for right now and calibrate the rest until you have one corrected..

the one you use for humidity has to be calibrated also..

I "preset" the bator on the one that I bought new in the reptile section; calibrated against a food thermometer--all this craziness started because I didn't think it was accurate b/c of all the temp flux in the bator...I made a 'water wiggler' which was supposed to be really accurate but it was reading super low while air temps at the top of the eggs was reaaaally high. so I decided to add MORE thermometers and really make a puzzle of it.
smile.png

So then I had to make the best of it and trundle along with weird contradictory readings, trying not to tweak anything too much. But I'm going to candle on Wednesday and we'll see if there's much point in going further. (fingers crossed) I had some development with some inferior eggs last time I tried with only the food thermometer.

I have a hygrometer but I didn't calibrate it. I just keep it in the 40-50 range...

thanks!

Jen

Back
Top Bottom