4 turkeys in a 10x20?

@R2elk is a 10x20 pen with 2 separate coops sufficient for 3 hens and a tom. It's all the room I have for now while I'm phasing out my chickens. I'll soon also have a 8x24 pin to keep hens and tom separated.
Its okay for a short time. I would not go over 4' high with the roosts so the turkeys aren't hitting the fence when flying down. With 6' high roosts I see my turkeys landing 30' to 60' from the roosts.

With one tom and 3 hens they should not need to be separated at this time of year.

20210408_090954.jpg
20210604_131331.jpg
top picture is the 8x24 its at my farm 2 hours north of where I live. The front is all 1/2 inch hardware cloth to keep predators out and its completely wrapped around with a 100 mile cattle hot wire 4 strands. The back has rr ties 2 deep from the edge to keep from digging under the back and sides. The feeder holds 250 lbs of food and waters hold 40 gallons now I made this incase I can't come up for a while and check on them. But the neighbors come almost everyday to get eggs and check on them. The bottom picture is at my house I haven't put the roof over the new 10x10 yet but that's where the turkeys will live. My lavender orps are being sold Sunday. And I'm using that money to buy 2 more red bourbon hens to add to my hen and tom I have now.

They also get turned out into the yard regularly I don't like keeping animals pinned up Friday sat and sun they get out at daylight and stay out till they go back in. I let em out every evening when I get home to. Those 2 10x10 pins are separated with a cross through cut through. I could probably keep the tom seperate in one pin and hens in another if I have to. I started making seperate pins when I raised quail to keep injured or mean birds away from others. Works out pretty good to have that barrier sometimes.

20211107_152950.jpg
added a 12x16 addition to the 10x20 pin. Got rid of 2 Jake's so a tom and 2 hens have this to themselves for now. Trying to find more red hens to add.

Back
Top Bottom