1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 week chicks with huge crops

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nikkumz, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    I have 6 four week old chicks that all have huge crops!
    How can i fix this, i just noticed it and they were eating when i noticed, is this why? Do i need to take them to a vet, i never noticed before today.
    They are eating dels all purpose poultry food, they are now outside in thier own like cage/pen with heat still and seem to be perfectly fine. someone please giv eme advice!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If their behavior is fine (eating/drinking/moving about normally), then they are fine. Some birds crops just appear really large from eating all day, while others' crops are hardly noticeable. If you're ever want to check for certain, put their food up at night and check them first thing in the morning before putting their food back down - their crop should be much smaller (as they've processed much of the stuff in it through the night). [​IMG]

3. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Thank you!, I posted this before i researched [​IMG] lol I should have looked it all up first, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by