4-week chicks with severe fowl pox (PLEASE HELP)

speethechicken

Chirping
Apr 8, 2017
3 weeks ago, I noticed a small bump on one of their eyes. Since then, all of them have developed massive lesions of some kind, which have scabbed over, and are continuing to pop up (it seems to have spread from just their faces to their feet, now). It looks awful and I'm really concerned, largely because I have seen no improvement, just further growth and appearances of the lesions.

I assume it's fowl pox, since we have both a lot of feral chickens and mosquitoes where I live, and it seems confined to their exposed skin (not under their feathers).

From what I can see, they are acting completely normally. Eating, drinking, running, preening, dust bathing, defecating. I haven't witnessed them picking at the scabs (either their own or those of their siblings). I don't think any of the scabs are inside their mouths, but given how big the ones on the sides of their beaks are getting, I wouldn't be surprised if some have already popped up.

All I have been doing thus far is applying alcohol to the bleeding scabs, and leaving the rest. This is starting to feel like it's not enough, though, and I'm really worried about Chickpea's beak and Pinto's eye, so any advice about possible treatment options would be hugely appreciated.

Chickpea (almost looks like she's getting a scissor beak from the huge lump that's started to push her beak to the side. Her beak was straight up until a couple of days ago. It also looks like she's developing one on her eye and feet. She's still eating well).
1620398332540.png

Lentil (hers seem confined to just his beak, luckily, and while she can't close her beak all the way it's not resting crooked).
1620398400892.png
1620398441917.png

Pinto (noticed her eye was bleeding and puffy this morning. She can still close her third eyelid, not sure about the main one. This eye bump was the one that developed first - I noticed it 17 April).
1620398511261.png
1620398547214.png

I'm very sorry your chicks and you have to deal with this. And I'm sorry I can't be of any help, I have never dealt with or seen this. Just wanted to ask if Pinto's eyelid perhaps got pecked - perhaps it would be better to separate her in a way she can be near the others but can not be reached - the bright red will probably rise the attention from the others.
I hope someone experienced will chime in.
Best wishes for your little ones :hugs

Poor chicks :(. This article recommends supplementing vitamins A, B, D, & E and treating all the scabs with iodine or triple antibiotic ointment to keep them clean and help soften them. Apparently they should fall off in the next few weeks.

I don’t have firsthand experience with fowl pox, so I’m sorry if these are things you already know! I hope they get better soon.

Sorry about your chicks and the fowl pox. It is good that they are eating and drinking, plus acting normally. Fowl pox is very serious in young chicks. The scabs are much larger and can potentially block vision or the nostrils, making it hard to get food and water or to breathe. Betadine (povidone iodine) 10% can be used to dry out scabs. Scabs should not be disturbed since that can help to spread the virus. Something like Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment should be used around or in the eyes. If any seem especially weak, look inside the beak and throat for any yellow material or plaques. That is how wet fowl pox looks and is much more dangerous.

Hi speethechicken how are Chickpea, Lentil and Pinto doing?
Hi Chickeria, thank you so much for your reply and follow up. They’re doing relatively well, thankfully! Pinto’s eye has almost fully healed and she still has sight in it. The other two’s lesions unfortunately caused mild cases of scissor beak; we had to clip the end of Chickpea’s beak off, but it didn’t bleed and she’s eating fine. Lentil did have some wet pox in her throat, but these were connected to the dry scabs on the outside of her beak so seemed to be pulled off when those (eventually) dropped. Only thing I wish I could do something about is Lentil’s crooked beak (it’s quite severe) but I’ve read there’s not really anything that can be done :( Anyways, they’re all eating well and acting fine. Look a bit funny but that’s okay :)

Hi Chickeria, thank you so much for your reply and follow up. They’re doing relatively well, thankfully! Pinto’s eye has almost fully healed and she still has sight in it. The other two’s lesions unfortunately caused mild cases of scissor beak; we had to clip the end of Chickpea’s beak off, but it didn’t bleed and she’s eating fine. Lentil did have some wet pox in her throat, but these were connected to the dry scabs on the outside of her beak so seemed to be pulled off when those (eventually) dropped. Only thing I wish I could do something about is Lentil’s crooked beak (it’s quite severe) but I’ve read there’s not really anything that can be done :( Anyways, they’re all eating well and acting fine. Look a bit funny but that’s okay :)
Hi speethechicken, thank you for the update❤️
I thought often about your little ones - I'm so sorry to hear what your sweet babies and you all went and are going through :hugs
But it is awesome news that they are all doing fine - eating well and being active - - that's great :thumbsup
I'm so glad to hear Pinto's eye is so much better and she didn't loose her sight, and Chickpea and Lentil get along so well with their transformed beaks 🤗🤗🤗
They are all so brave! And you did such a great job to help them through this difficult time 👍👏

Hi speethechicken how are Chickpea, Lentil and Pinto doing?

Back
Top Bottom