4-week-old barred rock -- girl or boy?

Well, it's been a while! Lucky me, I did end up with three pullets. They're about 16 weeks old now, and doing really well. Unfortunately, several weeks ago, one of my neighbor's chihuahuas escaped her yard, got into mine, sneaked under my poultry netting fence and attacked my Ameraucana/EE. After getting advice from my local feed store and reading a lot on the forum here, I tended to her regularly, kept her inside the house in one of my dog's crates, and within only a week, she was ready to be back outside with the other chickies. By about 2 weeks later, she was no longer limping. I'm amazed at how resilient chickens are, and how quickly they heal! Francis is even now vying for top-chicken status. I don't think Sam, the one I wasn't sure about the sex of, is going to give up the top position in the pecking order, but Francis is persistent!

Anyhoo... here are some recent pics. Sam is looking beautiful with her comb and wattles! I'd say at 16 weeks, the comb and wattles are not all that more developed as the 6-week-old cockerel's in Happy Chooks picture earlier in this thread.

Looking forward to the first eggs now. Tomorrow I'm building them a mobile shelter/playground! Will post pictures when it's finished. :)

Sam at 16 weeks

Sam at 16 weeks (close up)

My other 2 girls, Margy (left) and Francis (right)

Last edited:
I'm gonna post barred rock pics in a new thread..At 4 weeks, mine are totally obvious!
Your girl looked like a pullet from the first pic! Shes pretty.. Anyone else notice floppy combs on the barred rock more often??

Last edited:
I'm gonna post barred rock pics in a new thread..At 4 weeks, mine are totally obvious! Your girl looked like a pullet from the first pic! Shes pretty.. Anyone else notice floppy combs on the barred rock more often??
My rooster has a huge comb, and it doesn't flop at all, but my hen has a comb just like this one!
_MG_0793.jpg
_MG_1585.jpg

Hi All! Not sure if anyone will see this, but my chickies are 6 weeks old now, and I thought I'd throw up some new pics of Sam to see if anyone wants to add, confirm, or change their opinion about whether she's a pullet or a cockerel. Based on Happy Chooks 6wk pic, I'd say Sam is definitely a pullet. Still, her comb has more pink than my other two, and it looks like she's just starting to develop wattles, which I don't notice on the other two yet.

Anyhooo.... what do y'all think? Thanks!

I’d say your Sam is a girl! But I’m just learning. I have 4 week only Barred Rocks and out of the 7 I’m betting there is a cockerel or two, although I bought them from Cackle Hatchery and they are all supposed to be female. I know it’s not 100%, but I’m hoping I don’t have to give any away.

I’d say your Sam is a girl! But I’m just learning. I have 4 week only Barred Rocks and out of the 7 I’m betting there is a cockerel or two, although I bought them from Cackle Hatchery and they are all supposed to be female. I know it’s not 100%, but I’m hoping I don’t have to give any away.
Hi, I would consider posting a separate thread on this subject if you're curious about the gender of your barred rocks.

FYI, you probably won't get a response from the thread starter, as this thread is 10 years old. :)

Back
Top Bottom