4 Week Old Barred Rock--Pullet or Cockerel?

bathomas

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2015
Kentucky
Okay, folks! I'm brand new to this so I need your help. I adopted these little ones at one week old when they needed a home. I'm starting to worry that my BR is a cockerel. What are your thoughts? Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

The large head spot and the heavier white barring could indicate a male, but I would wait a bit longer before being sure.

That's what I've gathered from the research I've done, as well. Rats! Guess I will have to wait it out to be sure.

Are there certain behaviors that could indicate gender? The BR has been jumping on my Rhode Island Red the past couple of days and seems to be becoming more dominant.

Thank you all so much for your input! The feather/leg coloring, large head spot, stance, etc. are all of the things that had be wondering. I'm just really hoping that at least one of the two is a female...although I don't know anything about the crossing between a Rhode Island Red and BR.
roll.png

Should I be concerned if my BR is jumping on my Rhode Island Red? There is no pecking occurring, but the BR seems to be becoming very dominant. (Could any of this be indicative of a specific gender?)

Thanks again, guys!

I'm leaning towards cockerel because the feather pattering looks male. But post again in a couple weeks when it is more feathered out

Back
Top Bottom