4 week old brooding in laundry room dead, water everywhere 8 others al

It sounds like some sort of accident, as you've tried to prevent recurring, like getting its head caught in the feeder or the bars. If snakes can get in there then so can other small critters, like mice. It's possible they were all panicked and this caused the injury, which the spilled water makes me think of. Or it simply happened as a result of play.

Sorry this happened to you.

I don't think you could have done any more than you have. Sometimes things just happen in spite of all we do. Sorry. It is so sad to lose a pet.
sharon

Yes, it is sad, especially since yesterday was the first day of teaching my dogs that the chickens are mine. Everyone did well (the dogs already know not to bother the ducks) so it was a complete shock to find my buff dead. I'm still so bummed.

It's hard to imagine anything killing the chick and not taking the body to eat.

Sometimes they have birth defects that they die from. You said her head is larger than normal? Maybe something wrong with her.

I suppose a chick could get it's head stuck in the feeder, but I've never heard of it happening. Normally, if the head will go in, it will come back out. If you think the holes in the feeder are so small that your chicks can get their heads stuck, it is time for a new feeder.

Back
Top Bottom