4 week old chick cannot walk

KeeperOfTheZoo

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
This is my first time posting this type of thread, so I will just answer the questions.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

This is a 4 week old black australorp pullet. She is tinier than the other chicks hatched at the same time, and maybe a bit less developed, but not much.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

She was perfectly normal for the first couple weeks of her life. Just over 2 weeks old, she would stay with her mama hen, but wouldn't scratch and eat like the others. She hunched down and looked cold, but when I would try to catch her, she would run and peep loudly, so she didn't seem too bad. I kept an eye on her, but let her stay with her mama. Around 3 weeks, she started falling over to the side when running with the other chicks and struggling to get back up. I brought her in the house then. She is eating medicated chick feed and drinking water with vitamins and electrolytes, and I have giving her a few drops of poly-vi-sol without iron each day. I also have given her egg scrambled with plain yogurt and tiny pieces of leafy greens, with chick grit. She seems to be unable to use her left leg properly. She moves it, but does not bear weight on it. That leg also trembles when she is laying on her side. She does not seem to have a slipped tendon. She is extremely active, kicking and trying to move around her cage. She is alert and eats and drinks very well as long as I am holding her so she can stand. But, she cannot stand or walk without help - she either tips to the left side or somersaults over her head. Her poops are completely normal.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

For 1-2 weeks.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No - all the other chicks and chickens are perfectly healthy.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Not sure

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

She is eating medicated chick feed and drinking water with vitamins and electrolytes, and I have giving her a few drops of poly-vi-sol without iron each day. I also have given her egg scrambled with plain yogurt and tiny pieces of leafy greens, with chick grit.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

See above

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

By myself - there are no chicken vets in my area, even if I wanted to go to one.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

She looks normal other than being unable to walk.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

She was housed in a large coop with pine shavings and could free range with her mama hen a few hours each day. Right now, she is in a tote lined with newspapers and soft towels.

I am new to BYC and not sure if this is the case but I had one chick that could barely walk and kept falling over and she has pasty vent. I treated her with warm water and some olive oil and she is ok now. But your chick could have something different. I hope she gets better:(

Thanks - it's definitely not pasty butt. She is older and her vent is clean. And she is pooping normally. I thought it might be a vitamin deficiency, but I've been treating her for a week with no change.

Any other ideas? I hate to cull her, but I will have to if I can't find a way to help her stand on her own.

It was 2wks with PolyVisol (no iron) 3 drops 3x per day, boiled egg yolk mixed with it's chick starter. I started treatment within days of problem presenting it's self, being that you started treatment later, it may take a bit longer. My chick had CTP (curly toe paralysis), I also taped it's feet flat with the adhesive part of the bandaid. Seemed like forever but took 2wks, I wouldn't give up just yet.

Actually, I didn't update, because I didn't get much response, but a few days after I posted this, she started supporting her own weight and walking more, and as of a few days ago, she is back in the coop with the other chickens! I was worried that the mama hen wouldn't accept her back after 2 weeks, but when I put her out there, the top hen pecked at her, and the mama hen ran between top hen and the little chick and defended her. She has been perfectly integrated back into her little family. Thanks for your reply! It ended up turning out just as you said.

Back
Top Bottom