4 week old chick having difficulty swallowing

chickchick76

Hatching
Mar 12, 2017
My chicks are about 4 weeks old now. One of them is much smaller than the others. It will eat a few bites, go get a drink of water, then it starts to stick out its neck and open its beak like it's choking. It does this for a few minutes, then finds the warmest place in the brooder and takes a nap. I tried giving poly-vi-sol, but that made it choke too. I added a small bowl of grit, I've tried massaging the crop. I don't know what else to try or what's wrong! Help
1f44f-1f3fb.png

My chicks are about 4 weeks old now. One of them is much smaller than the others. It will eat a few bites, go get a drink of water, then it starts to stick out its neck and open its beak like it's choking. It does this for a few minutes, then finds the warmest place in the brooder and takes a nap. I tried giving poly-vi-sol, but that made it choke too. I added a small bowl of grit, I've tried massaging the crop. I don't know what else to try or what's wrong! Help
1f44f-1f3fb.png

Personally I would just watch it---I have raised 1000's and have seen strange "re-actions" and seen most grow out of them. Good Luck.

Thanks. It's been going on for over a week at least, and it's probably 1/4 the size of its hatch mates. I'm just worried!

Back
Top Bottom