4 week old chick--is this a Langshan?

LavendarFeather

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2012
This is a hatchery chick from an assortment. Seems to stand too tall to be a Cochin, but I've only had Bantam Cochins so I could be wrong about that. From pics I've seen, might be a Langsham, but I've never seen one so I dunno...

I'd say that you have a Black Langshan. Black Cochins have yellow (or at least mostly yellow) feet and legs. Langshans, though, have bluish black feet with some pink showing between scales, and the bottoms of the feet are pinkish white. From the pictures, your chick appears to have feet this color.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. That's just the kind of information I was looking for. I actually have about 4 of them, and they have a lot of personality. They all look like cockerels to me, but that may just be because of the tall stance.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. That's just the kind of information I was looking for. I actually have about 4 of them, and they have a lot of personality. They all look like cockerels to me, but that may just be because of the tall stance.

Right now, IMO, none of them look like cockerels. But you'll be able to tell for sure in a few weeks, as a cockerel's comb will start reddening up at that age.

I know its been a while since I looked at a hatchery, but I didnt know any carried lansghans. I would guess a marans before I guessed a langshan.

Yes, it's unexpected. But these are from Ideal, and they do have Langshans. The only Marans they carry are Cuckoo, and I know this isn't a Cuckoo Marans--there are a couple of those in the group already. Ideal has some birds that are hard to find--Brabanters, Silver Dorkings, Mottled Java, for example. Can't vouch for the quality, but I've heard they get them from different places and only hatch bantams themselves. Not sure if this is true, but could account for different levels of quality in different breeds. I got some Brabanters from them last spring, and most had obvious faults, but a couple turned out to be pretty nice.

Hmmm.. nice to know. It will make my friend who has been breeding and showing langshans for years happy to know that the breed might get more interest among people. They are a nice dual bird with a good personality.

Back
Top Bottom