4 week old chick with swollen foot and leg can any one tell me what it is :(

Desert Brooder

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
Sahuarita Az
My 4 week old welsummer chick has a swollen leg and foot she is eating and drinking and acts normal except I think her leg is worse than it was a week ago. It started a week ago.

When I first noticed it it was just her foot. I thought maybe it was bumble foot. Then I decided it wasn't. She seems fine other than it is super ugly and now I think it is worse instead of getting better. Has anyone seen anything like this before? She has been kept in a box in my bathroom ever since I got her along with 5 other chicks.

Wow... I have a 6 week old chick that suddenly has the same problem and looks just like the pic you posted. I have no clue and can't find any help that makes sense. Hope you solved your problem with yours. I have isolated mine with one more the same size and hope it will get better if I can't find an answer that makes sense.

Unfortunately no I have not:( she is still alive and I have been giving her tetracycline, but I don't know if it is working. Someone told me it looked like a broken leg to them. I just don't think that is what mine is, but you never know. It is so much more swollen now:( very very sad. I think I may have to put her down

Are you sure it isn't bumblefoot? Those black scabs looks suspicious. Have you tried removing them and doing an epsom salt soak? I'm sorry your poor baby is so sick.

Oh, just saw your second pic. The whole leg is swollen, if it an infection it looks pretty bad. I wish I had more experience and could help. Is the other leg starting to swell too? It looks a little swollen in this pic.

Did you treat for scaly leg mites? It looks a little like those pics. I haven't had it in my flock, but the images look similar.

Back
Top Bottom