4 week old chicks outside?

Catrrice

Hatching
Mar 14, 2017
We have 7 chicks, they turned 4 weeks old today. They have lived in an inside brooder box since 3 days and have been happy, but are now outgrowing their box. I would love to get them outside ASAP but we just started a cold snap (northern FL). Currently the temps are high of 65, low of 30 and will be that way all week, though should be mostly dry. They have been without a heat lamp the last few days and been fine (inside is about 65 degrees). I assume the birds will be fine during the day outside but not sure how'd they do at night. I'm hoping I can just close them up in the small coop I have and they will stay warm?? There will be plenty of pine shaving/wood chips, food and water. Thoughts/guidance, please? I just want to ensure they will stay warm! side note, they appear fully feathered.

You could keep them outside during the day and inside at night, but if you don't want to go through the trouble, you could move them to a dog crate for a little while, then move them outside in a week or two, once the nights warm up.

Since they are already off the heat lamp for 3 days now....they could probably go out.
Or you could open the windows in the room they are in to start acclimating them to the colder temps.

I used a huddle box when I brooded inside:
Make them a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.
Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.
Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.
Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.
This will give them a cozy place to sleep/rest, block any drafts and help hold their body heat in.

It is currently only 53 degrees. I just put them outside (still in the movable brooder box) and will give them 15 minutes or so to see how they do. no peeping yet, except when I moved their home initially to get it out the door!

It is currently only 53 degrees. I just put them outside (still in the movable brooder box) and will give them 15 minutes or so to see how they do. no peeping yet, except when I moved their home initially to get it out the door!
As long as they are dry and out of the wind, and in the shade if necessary, they should be fine.
Just keep an eye on them, go by their behavior.

Will the brooder box fit in the coop?

I live in Cali. The temps are lows of 45 and high of 70 already. My chicks (6 of them) stayed inside brooder for 2 days till I built their coop brooder. They have no heat source in the brooder just a huddle box. The top is lined with old pillow cases and the bottom has shredded paper. They are about a week old and happily thriving without additional heat. Your guys should definitely be okay with a huddle box outside!

The brooder box did not fit in the coop. I went ahead and moved them to the coop, with a heat lamp on the outside but pointed into the top window (normally used for ventilation/airflow-its only about 8 inches wide by 3 inches high). Currently they seem perfectly happy, though its still about 50 degrees. Since the low tonight is in the 30s I'm thinking that may not be enough heat. Can I put the heat lamp inside with them? If yes, would I leave the 8x3 inch window open or closed? Keeping them inside at night and outside at night will be difficult as Im traveling the next few days and will have someone watching them, the person isnt real comfortable with moving them from place to place.

Back
Top Bottom