4 Week Old Chicks

BellaBlueBell

Songster
Apr 4, 2020
Central PA
Hello Everyone,

Hope everybody is doing well in these challenging times. Here's a question. My 4 chicks are probably about 4 weeks old now. I have them in my. laundry room in an extra large dog crate, heat lamp keeping them warm. I have a coop ordered but due to the travel difficulties, the builder has not been able to get it to me. Maybe next week, or we will have to cancel the order and buy from tractor supply.

Anyway, they are crowding the dog crate, not much room now. They seem to be about the size of a dove, maybe even a little larger. Lots of feathers, some still coming in on the top of their heads. They grew much faster than I expected!!!

I have a very large rabbit hutch outside with an 8x8 pen attached. With a few modifications, they could live in their until we get the coop issue resolved.

Do you think this would be better for them than the dog crate? They would have more room and better ventilation, but we are having a cold snap in PA and I'm concerned that they would not survive.

Thanks for your input.
Sally

Hello Everyone,

Hope everybody is doing well in these challenging times. Here's a question. My 4 chicks are probably about 4 weeks old now. I have them in my. laundry room in an extra large dog crate, heat lamp keeping them warm. I have a coop ordered but due to the travel difficulties, the builder has not been able to get it to me. Maybe next week, or we will have to cancel the order and buy from tractor supply.

Anyway, they are crowding the dog crate, not much room now. They seem to be about the size of a dove, maybe even a little larger. Lots of feathers, some still coming in on the top of their heads. They grew much faster than I expected!!!

I have a very large rabbit hutch outside with an 8x8 pen attached. With a few modifications, they could live in their until we get the coop issue resolved.

Do you think this would be better for them than the dog crate? They would have more room and better ventilation, but we are having a cold snap in PA and I'm concerned that they would not survive.

Thanks for your input.
Sally
Can you post some photos of the hutch?
Would it be secure from predators at night?
How is the 8X8 pen - pretty secure for day time?

At 4 weeks, I would definitely start weaning them off heat. What is the temp in your laundry room?

I don't have a smartphone to take pics. It's an Amish built double hutch to which hubby added the fully enclosed pen. I think it is secure enough.

Laundry room temp is between 68-70 degrees.

My concern is the lack of space as they grow. The new coop should have been delivered already, sigh.

I don't have a smartphone to take pics. It's an Amish built double hutch to which hubby added the fully enclosed pen. I think it is secure enough.

Laundry room temp is between 68-70 degrees.

My concern is the lack of space as they grow. The new coop should have been delivered already, sigh.
That's o.k.
Do you know how big the hutch is? Probably bigger than the dog kennel? (dimension wise)

I would wean them off heat - if you have electric at the hutch, you could provide them with a heating pad at night . I've use a heating pad (cave) to brood chicks outside - I've had 1week olds outside when nighttime temps were in the 20s - they do need protection from wind/drafts. At 4 weeks they shouldn't need much supplemental heat except maybe at night - you will have to go by behavior.
Getting them outside would definitely benefit them (and you too!)

I'm sorry that your having to wait. This whole situation that we are all in right now is frustrating to say the least. Do the best you can. I think a rabbit hutch if bigger than the kennel and secure from predators would work fine until you can get the other set-up.

Oh, does the hutch have wire floors? I know you are going to do some modifications, I would probably place something on top of the wire ( a floor) - could be just cardboard with some shavings on top. Just a though.

Yep, the hutch is bigger. It has two nesting compartments and a breezeway that is about 8 ft. in front. Then a ramp down into the enclosed pen area. We could tarp the breezeway to enclose it so they have a bit of room free of drafts. There's already a small animal heating pad in there (25W) that my female rabbit loves to lay on.

Yep, the hutch is bigger. It has two nesting compartments and a breezeway that is about 8 ft. in front. Then a ramp down into the enclosed pen area. We could tarp the breezeway to enclose it so they have a bit of room free of drafts. There's already a small animal heating pad in there (25W) that my female rabbit loves to lay on.
This sounds pretty good.
What are you going to do with the rabbit LOL

My bunnies are in the basement, too, right now, which they love. They free range in the fenced yard through the day and come in at night. We have another storage room next to the laundry room. I have a second little hutch and pen set up in there for cold weather. A veritable zoo in the basement :))

Back
Top Bottom