Stainedglasschicken

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2021
I’m a new chick owner, first time, and trying to troubleshoot my chickens is turning to be a super challenge between me trying to take preventive action or just over thinking. My Easter egger daphne, for a couple weeks she has been sneezing pretty constantly compared to the rest. That initially alarmed me but chalked it up to the dust hemp bedding I was using. She likes to scratch and dig her face in the bedding the most so also figured she’s sneezing cause it’s dusty and she ends up getting bedding stuck in her nose sometimes. the Sneezing frequency hasn’t changed, but her behavior is normal and lively (she does happen to be the most skidish of the bunch which I’m not sure is relevant or not) but she has no runny nose or bubbly eyes. Not lethargic.

but since this past week she has stared passing very watery stools, consistently and drinking a lot more water than eating, but she still eats just not as vigorous as the rest. I thought maybe it’s heat stress since moving them into my plant room from the downstairs basement bathroom which was much cooler. Or stress from the new change in environment. She’s the only one who is having poops like this and I’m concerned. Now I’m staring to think it’s an impacted crop, because hers seems full and kinda hard while everyone else’s is empty. It’s been about 5 days since the change in her poo. But she is still acting normal, not lethargic.

the new components that I introduced the day before her new symptoms, was a chunk of earth with grass/weeds to let them pick at, and attempted to make a dirt bath with dirt outside and diatomaceous earth, that day though I noticed daphne (the Easter egger in question) was the one eating the contents of the bath most. So I’m stuck between thinking she has an impacted crop due to maybe eating a piece of thw grass that is too big for her to digest Or her eating too much sand. I have been adding 1/4 amounts of chick grit in their food and offer it anytime I give them herbs/treats. But the one thing I noticed because I tried putting a different dust bath with just sand, and she was eating that too more than the rest, that one of her poops look more like a feed passage issue, but seems to have bits of sand in it. I do give them acv daily and the chick grit has probiotics as well. At this point I feel like I’m just going to take her to the vet because I’m afraid to hurt them trying to help loosen the crop myself.

the poop pic was super watery, but given it’s on a paper towel you can’t tell. I’m having a hard time figuring out if she has diareah or not

any advice is greatly appreciated!! I don’t think I can handle a chick fatality :(

Attachments

• 182C13BD-B727-4D5E-B656-A39492329177.jpeg
    182C13BD-B727-4D5E-B656-A39492329177.jpeg
    658.6 KB · Views: 15
I’m a new chick owner, first time, and trying to troubleshoot my chickens is turning to be a super challenge between me trying to take preventive action or just over thinking. My Easter egger daphne, for a couple weeks she has been sneezing pretty constantly compared to the rest. That initially alarmed me but chalked it up to the dust hemp bedding I was using. She likes to scratch and dig her face in the bedding the most so also figured she’s sneezing cause it’s dusty and she ends up getting bedding stuck in her nose sometimes. the Sneezing frequency hasn’t changed, but her behavior is normal and lively (she does happen to be the most skidish of the bunch which I’m not sure is relevant or not) but she has no runny nose or bubbly eyes. Not lethargic.

but since this past week she has stared passing very watery stools, consistently and drinking a lot more water than eating, but she still eats just not as vigorous as the rest. I thought maybe it’s heat stress since moving them into my plant room from the downstairs basement bathroom which was much cooler. Or stress from the new change in environment. She’s the only one who is having poops like this and I’m concerned. Now I’m staring to think it’s an impacted crop, because hers seems full and kinda hard while everyone else’s is empty. It’s been about 5 days since the change in her poo. But she is still acting normal, not lethargic.

the new components that I introduced the day before her new symptoms, was a chunk of earth with grass/weeds to let them pick at, and attempted to make a dirt bath with dirt outside and diatomaceous earth, that day though I noticed daphne (the Easter egger in question) was the one eating the contents of the bath most. So I’m stuck between thinking she has an impacted crop due to maybe eating a piece of thw grass that is too big for her to digest Or her eating too much sand. I have been adding 1/4 amounts of chick grit in their food and offer it anytime I give them herbs/treats. But the one thing I noticed because I tried putting a different dust bath with just sand, and she was eating that too more than the rest, that one of her poops look more like a feed passage issue, but seems to have bits of sand in it. I do give them acv daily and the chick grit has probiotics as well. At this point I feel like I’m just going to take her to the vet because I’m afraid to hurt them trying to help loosen the crop myself.

the poop pic was super watery, but given it’s on a paper towel you can’t tell. I’m having a hard time figuring out if she has diareah or not

any advice is greatly appreciated!! I don’t think I can handle a chick fatality :(
Here another pic of her poop

Attachments

• 6BFCB7B2-4463-42C0-81B9-B4ABE2A08DD4.jpeg
    6BFCB7B2-4463-42C0-81B9-B4ABE2A08DD4.jpeg
    631.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 09A1342C-949E-46DE-9138-D852B75C3310.jpeg
    09A1342C-949E-46DE-9138-D852B75C3310.jpeg
    688.9 KB · Views: 6
She could be dealing with mild Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) symptoms.
Thank you so much! Turns out she is pooping normal again and the crop has gone down over night. I think it was the change in environment which made her hotter and so her watery poop was from drinking a lot/stress.

Back
Top Bottom