4 week old EE pullet with long upper beak

marnold

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
I have a 4 week old EE with a long upper beak that is keeping to herself under the heat lamp and doesn't squawk much when held and just generally is not as energetic as the other chicks. I have not noticed her eating or drinking lately but I also work full time so I can't say I'm constantly watching, either. Her upper beak has always been longer and she was eating fine but now I'm worried. She does not have scissor beak, the upper and lower beaks are perfectly aligned. Should I worry about this? and what can I give her to make sure she is being properly fed or just to bolster her some?

Would you mind posting a photo of this chick so we can see how long the upper beak is in relation to the lower? You might be able to file the upper beak down a tad with a nail file. A lot of chickens have upper beaks longer than the lower. It depends on how much it extends beyond.

For chicks with beak issues, if you dampen the feed so it clumps, it's easier and more efficient to eat. Have you watched this chick drink? Any evidence of problems being able to slurp?

Poultry Nutri-drench can help a weak chick with nutrients that will be absorbed directly into the blood stream, reviving the chick quickly.

Here are the photos. Thank you for your quick reply. At 2 weeks and eating/drinking great. Send photo is at 4 weeks.
mM216vJRQfS4afdp%N%EfA.jpg
Cheekee 4 weeks.jpg

Would you mind posting a photo of this chick so we can see how long the upper beak is in relation to the lower? You might be able to file the upper beak down a tad with a nail file. A lot of chickens have upper beaks longer than the lower. It depends on how much it extends beyond.

For chicks with beak issues, if you dampen the feed so it clumps, it's easier and more efficient to eat. Have you watched this chick drink? Any evidence of problems being able to slurp?

Poultry Nutri-drench can help a weak chick with nutrients that will be absorbed directly into the blood stream, reviving the chick quickly.
Thank you so much for your fast reply. I have posted 3 photos. The first of Cheekee at 2 weeks and then 2 of her now at 4 weeks. Tell me what you think. Thanks!

Hawk beak, one of the cuter deformities. Clipping can help some but being so small personally I wouldn't try that yet. For now about all you can do is feed that one out of a deep dish and see how well she is drinking.:)
Thank you! I will do that.

You're welcome, honestly I think they're really cute with the hawk beaks. When she gets older and her beak is pretty much grown i'd trim it a little so it isn't a nuisance and so she doesn't break it off. She'll always need a deep dish though for everything since pecking isn't going to be too productive for her.:)
Thank you! I will do that.

That was fast! Thanks! It helps a lot. Little Cheekee has a deformed beak, upper being much too long and curved and the lower being too short. It appears the nares are positioned too far forward, and there's also likely internal abnormalities, too, though you can't see them. Soon these genetic problems could serious interfere with efficient absorption of nutrients, compounded by not getting enough to eat due to the beak.

I can see where the quick starts, and you would be able only to file down about a third of the upper beak, and it might not be enough to make a difference. It appears the problem is becoming even more pronounced as the chick grows.

Try to accept that this chick is going to have problems and it may not be able to compete in a flock. I don't think there's any way to improve the beak other than filing it down just short of the quick. If the quick is nicked, heavy bleeding will result, so be extremely careful if you try to shorten it.

Back
Top Bottom