4 Week old Hamburg and Brahma...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Songster

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Hi everyone!

Well, I just can't stop myself from asking... I'm REALLY worried about my Light Brahma, Tiny, and a little worried about my DH's Silver Spangle Hamburg. I know it's probably going to be REALLY hard with Tiny as she's still mostly puff but her legs look huge to me. Then again, I've never raised a Brahma before... Salsa (Hamburg) just has a wide crest area coming in and again, it may just be a breed thing but...

I just finished cleaning their brooder so they're running around on puppy mats in front of it poking around for spilled food and mealworm bits.

This is Tiny. S/He has no comb to speak of, just a teeny tiny little V where it will eventually be. She stands about an inch and a half to two inches taller at the shoulder than Salsa or the two three week olds (Sussex and Australorp) when pecking around. And yes, while puffy she is 4 weeks old. When they said this breed could be slow to feather in, I didn't think they meant this slow!
    [​IMG]

And Salsa.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit for spelling.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not sure what you are worried about?

3. jenesis536

jenesis536 Songster

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    My 2 light brahmas had hardly any comb for a long time and still don't have much at just over 5 months.... and their legs are really thick and long... I worried about them being roos, but they aren't. It's still really young but the feathers will start coming in soon.

I don't know about the 2nd one... that comb looks big for a week and a half.

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Songster

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Sonora- I'm not allowed to keep roos in city limits.

They're both 4 weeks. I was just hoping there was some 'tell' that I wasn't picking up on for which gender they are. I can wait for an answer, I just need to know before they decide to start crowing that I need to find them new homes.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Okay, a big worry people constantly have is of having a rooster in city limits. . .

. . . Even if you have a rooster, it isn't going to noticeably crow until about 4 months old, sometimes even later. [​IMG]

They look like pullets to me though so far. If anything, keep eyes on the Hamburg, but again, do NOT worry until much later!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: