4 week old pullet cant walk right.

I keep thinking Mareks, but so far no other chicks show signs. My adult chickens seem fine. I've hatched all of my own chickens from egg and havent vaccinated any.
I gave her some poultry cell, and actually made an appointment with an avian doctor for tomorrow which I've never done for a chicken (also dont want to go cuz corona).

She seems in pain, especially yesterday. I hope I can get this figured out. I had her separated, but she was not liking it and kept trying to jump out or on things. So I moved her back in with the 9 other chicks for tonight.
Egg Marek's symptoms generally if not mostly show up after 6 weeks. I have had that happen generally near 6 weeks. Also symptomatic at a year old. After that its usually a bacterial ailment from common germs that grow out of control due to immunosuppression caused by Marek's. (Sorry about the ramble , I have nothing else to do, LOL

4 weeks would be highly unusual. And with chicks I would think you would have more than one chick symptomatic.

Egg those are great videos! Slipped tendon would be a much easier fix than a Virus.:fl
If it is a slipped tendon I couldnt feel it, but I'm not that great with bird anatomy.
She is doing g worse, but I'm in vet waiting room. She still eating tons and drinking, but she can no longer even really stand.
So stressful, especially when I didnt want to leave the house :p

Wasn't much help. He thinks if its mericks that it's weird cuz the chick seems to have full sensation of legs, just cant use properly. He told me to make a device from sponge that will hold her legs in a straight position.

So far she really hates when I move her legs into normal position, screams and tries everything she can to run away.

Tholis is hard and I still feel useless after seeing the pro.

So here she is the torture device the vet had me make. Took me a few days to get right and she still. An get out of it, but at least she no longer can ip upside down.
Anyways this holds her between her feet and joint above that. I have her feet "taped" to bottom of sponge, kinda like when you make booties for chicks. And the sponge goes up to her first joint. It hold s her hips so they can't splay out.
You can see that she sits sideways, I have the holes so she should sit north-south in orientation to this photo.

She seems to be in pain and rears up her rear end when I touch her hip are on either side. She eats all day and hasn't walked in 4 days. She can't stand well anymore.
20200409_213454.jpg

Update

She was separated/isolated for a month from her nine hatchmates.
She sat down while eating , pooping, , drinking.
Used her wings to balance and walk.

Well about a week ago she could kind of walk and I reintroduced her to the rest of chicks.

She kind of stands weird and her two inner toes on right foot are bent inward now. But i think she's getting better.

Still mad that I don't know what happened to her. But at least it seems like a happy ending.

Back
Top Bottom