1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4-week old relocated chick acting odd

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Arcnadius, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    I have a group of six chicks that are 4 weeks old. All were fine and normal last night before I began to relocate them from the brooder box to the brooder pen. I placed all six in a dog carrier (plenty of room for them) for the move. They were in there just a few minutes during the walk. When I placed them in the pen, I noticed one with her head buried in the wood shavings acting like an ostrich. I gently lifted her head which she seemed to tolerate, and she would leave her head up for a minute, then go back to playing ostrich. She would also keep her left eye closed sometimes but I didn't see any injury or foreign substance. I held her for awhile encouraging her to keep her head up and I stroked her chest in case she was trying to get to something there that was bothering her. She eventually calmed down and kept her head up so I placed her in the pen where she seemed okay.

This morning I went out to check on her and she was doing the same thing, tucking her head down under herself. I had to leave for work so I don't know how she is at the moment. Does anyone know what might be going on with her or what I can do to help her?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    She seems to be doing better. I talked to a poultry expert at the county fair and she seemed to think the chick was just terrified and trying to hide. I tend to agree since the chick does lift her head to look around, but I think I'll add the vitamins as a precaution. Thanks!

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,she probably was terrified,chickens do not handle stress at all. Moving for them is stressful,keep an eye on her,unfortunately stress can bring on/activate illness in chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by