4 week old scalped by hen- Photo is GRAPHIC. Advice please

Bird friends

In the Brooder
May 25, 2020
She was pinned down and getting one heck of a beating. This was yesterday. Today she is bright and alert. I’m a vet tech so I did clavamox drops 50mg twice daily and triple antibiotic ointment to keep moist but- its awful to look at. Surprised she is eating and drinking and trying to escape her isolation cage. Anyone have this happen?!?! Should I put her down or will the wound heal? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
61375237-BC71-4E3F-818D-B451A0129948.jpeg
hot

My little baby chick Dancy had a very severe head pecking like that. I did not take her to the vet, I separated her- & put antibiotic ointment on her head. It took a long time to heal, and she did not grow a comb for years. - She is 6 years old now and she still has a scar around her head. Keep her isolated until she does not have any red left- the others love to peck at anything red. How is her eye?

My little baby chick Dancy had a very severe head pecking like that. I did not take her to the vet, I separated her- & put antibiotic ointment on her head. It took a long time to heal, and she did not grow a comb for years. - She is 6 years old now and she still has a scar around her head. Keep her isolated until she does not have any red left- the others love to peck at anything red. How is her eye?
The swelling is better today but I’m thinking there’s vision loss. Though, her eye itself looks pretty good all things considered

It's a common type of injury.
Here's a hen with nearly the same injury and this chronicles her injury and recovery.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-badly-injured.1347824/page-3

As you know de-gloving type injuries are gruesome to look at and hard to manage, but doable. And you already know how to treat it.
Your youngster can probably survive this.

Back
Top Bottom