4 Weeks Old...Coop Time??

Reurra

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ive got several chicks between 3 weeks and 4 weeks old. They are mostly feathered, but their heads are still a little fuzzy. :hmm

They have outgrown the brooder! There are about 16 of them and I clean twice a day! Each time I open the brooker, they come flying out like moths from a closet! :oops: Ive got a screen climber who is forever climbing the walls. :he

The temps outside are holding around 40F at night. But the daytime temps are around 60F I have a Cozy Coop and a regular 150W bulb I can hang over them but Im not sure if that is enough. :idunno The coop is about 9x12 I double bedded it with shavings and there are no drafts. There is a gable vent so they get plenty of air. Ive never had a ventilation issue.

Im going batty with their chirping lol :lau My Dear Husband has been so patient, but they really need space and he needs peace and quiet! :barnie

Would a cuddle box work? I read a cardboard box works great but Im not sure they would use it at night.

I made a warm room for my October hatched chicks from an upside down clear tote with holes for entrance and exit and used a heating pad under shavings. They used it happily. You might need 2!
Edit to add: Then again if well feathered and weaned off heat inside they likely won't need extra heat.

They have been on a 150W bulb for about a week now. Temps here suddenly dropped down to 32F night before last so I used the heat lamp for the last 2 days. We shut off our heat system because last week we had temps reaching the 80s during the day for a full week. We thought we would save power, but now the temps suddenly dropped so we turned the heat back on. Nights are rainy with 40F being the average predicted.

Being in Eastern Canada, our June can feel more like March/April for more southern folks.

How can I wean them off the heat?

Most are 70%-90% feathered out. The 5 oldest (4 Weeks) are fully feathered out and using the roost in the brooder. The youngest chick has chest and some back feathering.

@ GrubsUps lol I know I will miss them, but with 16 babies crying for "Mom" it can be quite loud! lol

They have been on a 150W bulb for about a week now. Temps here suddenly dropped down to 32F night before last so I used the heat lamp for the last 2 days. We shut off our heat system because last week we had temps reaching the 80s during the day for a full week. We thought we would save power, but now the temps suddenly dropped so we turned the heat back on. Nights are rainy with 40F being the average predicted.

Being in Eastern Canada, our June can feel more like March/April for more southern folks.

How can I wean them off the heat?

Most are 70%-90% feathered out. The 5 oldest (4 Weeks) are fully feathered out and using the roost in the brooder. The youngest chick has chest and some back feathering.

@ GrubsUps lol I know I will miss them, but with 16 babies crying for "Mom" it can be quite loud! lol
I'd have the light off all day and only turn on at night if they are really huddled up. And raise it higher every day so it's cooler under there. 40 and damp...I think they'll be fine but I admit I'd be heating them at night outside one way or another myself.

Yeah I intend to keep a heat source out there with them, but not a dangerous heat lamp. Im stumped how to set up the Cozy Coop as Im concerned that if its just hanging vertically it wont let off enough heat for them, but Im not sure if its safe to lay down horizontally on a screen so they can get under it and stay warm.

Back
Top Bottom