4 wk old chick with NAKED NECK AND VERY RED SCALY RASH. What is it?

InLuvWLife

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
4 week old chick- Wyandotte- one of 50 in my brooder. She has a naked, red scaly rash that goes from base of head to shoulders. Most of the feathers are gone. I observed the chicks for about half hour- no particular picking at this one chick. She seems otherwise OK. No sign of bugs on any of the chicks. I noticed the redness at about 2 weeks old. What is this rash?

Well, no replies from the forum, but just in case someone else has this issue here is what happened: I treated the chick with an herbal salve made from calendula oil, St John's Wort oil, Comfrey leaf oil and some essential oils. This kept the other chicks from picking at the rash too, as they did not seem to appreciate the stickiness of the salve. After applying every day for a week, then every other day, the chick's skin is now significantly less red and scaly and the feathers are growing back.
SO! Don't know what the rash was... but its getting better

Im so glad you posted this. I have a 4 WEEK old chick who has the same issue. The hatchery had no answers, nothing I searched came with answers so I will def have to look into getting that salve! thanks so much

I have a two-week old Wyandotte also with a red rash on her neck. She also leans her head away from the red side. Would love to hear where you got the salve.

Back
Top Bottom