4 wk old RIR bitten by dog

22Renee22

Hatching
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Southeast Texas
Please help me. My 4 Week Old RIR was bitten by a dog this evening. It is above his left wing. Wound a little smaller than a dime. Skin is missing and muscle is visible. Could possibly be a puncture wound.However I do not see damage/trauma to the muscle tissue. The chick appears to be in no acute distress. It is calm and resting. Breathing is normal. I have separated him from the others to avoid pecking. He is on a bed of pine shavings with food and water. I have never seen this dog before not do I know who owns it.

What should I do?
What medicine do I need?
Is topical medication enough?

I am sorry I can not upload pictures at this time.
I fear that what I need will not be available to me since today is Sunday. Anyone with any advice would greatly be appreciated.

how is your RIR doing? There's a lot of good info about attending wound, and correct me please, if I am wrong, but I think hydrogen peroxide isn't recommended to clean chicken's wound. I use antiseptic to clean the wound gently, let it dry for a little, then apply Neosporin, the one without the pain killer though.

I think you'll need to get your RIR into some forms of antibiotic, for example, Duramycin that should be available in all feed / tractor supply store. From my experience, make sure you keep your chicken hydrate, isolated in a nice, warm/ cozy environment. Offer good protein like boiled eggs or scramble eggs that can be mixed into a mash with probiotic. Try not to encourage your chicken to make too many movements for the first day at least. I think your chicken will be in good shape to a nice recovery. Again, lots of people in here offer many good advices so I don't think you should be short of info to make good decisions!

Good luck and I'm very sorry to hear about the incident.

Back
Top Bottom